PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Flows

ricards
05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
It looks like the flows on the lower Yuba have dropped to about 2,300 cfs and holding steady. Anybody fished it recently?

ganderlander2
05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
My guess would be leaning towards poor visabilty. I might go check it out for an hour or two this weekend, if I go ill send out a report.

ricards
05-11-2012, 07:26 AM
My guess would be leaning towards poor visabilty. I might go check it out for an hour or two this weekend, if I go ill send out a report.

I sort of figured that much. Thanks.

rippinstreamers
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
fished it on friday, water clarity was great! still feels pretty mighty when you step into it, but I landed 7 nice yuba fish in 3.5 hours of fishing. They were gobblin up a size 14 softhackled pheasant tail with a pink hotspot right in the heat of the day. Also had a few eats jig prince

ricards
05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I was up there yesterday. Fished downstream from the bridge and caught all of my fish in water that I would normally consider a bit thin. But I believe with the higher flows the fish are scattered and holding in slower water. The trick is finding that water if you're wading.

Barnett
05-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I fished above the bridge the morning of 5/21 with mixed success. Got three to hand (2 at around 12" and one at about 17") and 2 LDRs. They were hitting a small (sz18/20) dark mayfly nymph pattern, with one caught on a sz8 olive bugger.

There did not seem to be much difference in fish activity between early and mid-morning. Does anybody have experience with the best fishing hours at this time of year?

There were a few insects flying around, but not much of a hatch.

ricards
05-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I fished above the bridge the morning of 5/21 with mixed success. Got three to hand (2 at around 12" and one at about 17") and 2 LDRs. They were hitting a small (sz18/20) dark mayfly nymph pattern, with one caught on a sz8 olive bugger.

There did not seem to be much difference in fish activity between early and mid-morning. Does anybody have experience with the best fishing hours at this time of year?

There were a few insects flying around, but not much of a hatch.

All of my fish were caught on a #20 nymph during late morning (with the exception of one fish that was looking up in the early afternoon and took a dry). I'd say morning is better than afternoon. Can't wait for flows to start going down.

clackaman
05-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I would say changing up is the name of the game right now. I've been down form the bridge to the gun club a couple of times over the last week with clients. Keep changing flies until you find what they are on. For us it has been different in the early morning, mid day and afternoon each time down. Once I figure out what they are on at that moment on that day it is great until the hatch changes. Everything from PMDs, to Yellow Sallies and Caddis. Bring an assortment of flies and be willing to change if you are fishing water you know will hold fish. Sooner or later you will figure out what there are on. Typical Yuba. Good luck.