PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Ants

Troutstalker55B
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
The Carpenter Ants have popped here in Nevada City today. It would be cool if you Truckee locs would chime in when they pop there and see the difference in the number of days it takes for them to come out at that elevation. Frankie da Fish, Bigfly, Gilligan, let us know - Thanks,

Jon.

TahoeChris
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I live in south lake and haven't seen one yet. I'll keep you posted for sure. I have been looking too.

Morgan
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
cant wait!

Jim feel free to give me a ring when they do :)

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Jon et al---Generally the large, winged/unwinged Black Carpenter ants do not make a significant appearance until the end of May or early June. There are several theories as to what climatic conditions that trigger the "emergence"...in numbers, not just a few. Ralph has a theory that they appear with pollen and of course is "uplift" theory. "

Also, they can be here in intense numbers for 1-3 days or spread-out over 7-10 days in non-intense numbers.

This year it is possible they may appear earlier than usual because of the mild-winter....

Here is my take from a 2002 article in NorthWest Fly Fishing magazine:

"...Mid-June is your first real chance of inducing a trout to the surface. Waning spring is an unbeknown and locally loved “Big Bugs Of June” annual happening; Western Green Drakes, Golden Stones and huge, winged, Black Carpenter Ants provide an interesting menu. The stream occupants are aware and on the lookout for the opportunity to ambush such high caloric morsels. Out-sized trout, in the 18”-23” class, lose abandon of their cannibalistic habits and vacate the depths to bust the surface for the chance at these bugs. During this period, you can experience explosive top water takes along with you personal adrenalin rush...."

Frank R. Pisciotta

alternately known as Frankie da Fish, CyberFly!!, Frankie Flav or Uncle Frank and others....

Troutstalker55B
05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks Frank, good info right there. When I lived full time in Graeagle the ants would come out just like you said in a three day period or stretched out over a week. I've never had a good day fishing the ants on the MFFR due to the cold water temps, but have had some great days at Lake Davis. I think you may see them around the 21st of May if we keep getting this warm weather.

Jon.

bigfly
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Jon, nothing yet, but I spent all night and morning tying them up.
That must mean they're close.
It could be this week, or next.
I'm also curious about time difference between foothills and here.
Let you know.

Jim

Chris Evison
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Walked the dogs at Zephyr Cove at Lake Tahoe today. Saw some Mound Ants with wings in the meadows. No flying ants on the beaches. Got to be close.

Fishing Frenchman Lake on thur/fri. I will be throwing an ant pattern to any rising fsh I see. The midging has been great this spring. Will post when I get back.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Jon---I agree; not having consisitently great success with large Black Ants on the BT; occassioanlly epic though. Similar to you I've had my best success with #8 Winged, Foam Ants on Milton Lake. It has resulted in the the very few original fly patterns I've ever created...the Milton Monstrosity.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---I believe I've created mythical importance with my coining of the "Big Bugs of June" tag

gilligan
05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Saw some here around Hirschdale, and down below today. I'm sure fish will be keyed up on 'em here shortly.

Gilligan

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/

Ralph
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Driving up 20 and I-80 today, a bunch of ant hits to the windshield around Skillman and again in Cisco Grove. None on the T.

Bull_Dog
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Had a couple flying around my back yard today and a couple more on the ground. Big Ole black ones. Hopefully they will be out tomorrow. Got some Loco Ants ready for a swim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt6SgAR9e7w

Troutstalker55B
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses. Looks like I better tie some in the morning, headed up to Plumas for some work and a little play. This board rules!

Jon.

JR Martinez
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
New here, well kinda, been a few years but I saw a ton of Carpenter ants (some were all black, some were black with some grayish coloration on the abdomen which I've never seen before) this past weekend on a family trip up to the Calaveras Big Trees. They were all around the park and along the banks of the North Fork of the Stanislaus. Most were big, something around size 12 would work though some were probably a 10. Also saw a few slightly smaller ants (Black abdomen, cinnamon/reddish thorax and head) along the river too. All this was around 4000 ft

TahoeChris
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Just got back from the truckee and saw one at about 10am so I rigged up a dry dropper and fished it hard with no takes. Then at 11 a big march brown hatch was happening with a few fish looking up so I switched again and got one on my second cast then no other looks on the surface. After some food and a beer we started seeing a few more. I fished the ant a little more but no takers. This week it will happen. As I was getting out my waders one slapped my in the face. I almost turned around and kept fishing but it's been a long day. I might have to play hooky one day this week.

Dan LeCount
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
3 days ago I started seeing some around the back yard in Glenshire, then it got partly cloudy the last 2 days. Today it got hot again and theyre popping pretty good. Tomorrow should be a good bet, but you never know. Maybe theyll be eating drowned baetis spinners, micro caddis, march browns, remnant skwalas, etc. Come with some in your box, but dont expect them to be the deal, just be happily surprised if they are. Im heading to the river, since Im carp fishing in NV tomorrow.

:D

papaebe
05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Hey Dan What was happening Wed afternoon?
P

bigfly
05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Papaebe, since Dan's fishing today.....

Wed. afternoon Dan did a short demo.
Got three fish to look (briefly), at an ant dry.
Then he drowned it, and caught a couple of those fish.
That's why we drown them....(Besides the fact ants float poorly.)
Trying to force them to rise here, can at times, be futile (even during a hatch/emergence).
That doesn't mean fish aren't eating........

After their mating flight, the big females drop their wings and go looking for a downed tree to eat (or a house).
Feel free to fish a sz 12 black epoxy ant for this. You can change the red/black ones with a marker....

Looks like it will be an on-off kind of emergence.
Watch the weather for the warmest days.
Every year is different.
(5-19-12) Heck, every day is.
Still chilly but maybe......
Jim

Dan LeCount
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Dan What was happening Wed afternoon?
P

Yea, the river was pretty big that day and not too many fish seemed to be looking up. Like Jim(Bigfly) said, they took them underneath pretty decent. Got maybe 4-5 to take a drowned ant, or a baetis,(couldnt see what all of them took) only brought 3 to hand though. 1 for sure was on a baetis and 2 on an ant. Not bad for a little under an hour/sneak out afternoon sesh before dinner. 1 fish looked totally wild, and the other 2 looked like holdover Flycasters fish. I wouldn't say the fishing is great, but definitely worth hitting the water. ( I say that most of the time though)

Random note - My friend saw a green drake yesterday, although I think the major portion of the hatch is probably still a ways off, just something to think about. Its a wierd year, you never know whats gonna pop when youre out.

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-20-2012, 04:04 AM
SPARSE.

The only day I've personally seen Winged, Black Carpenter ants was last Wednesday. Been on the local waters everyday since and haven't see any more. 8-[ Maybe I'm in the wrong locations and they're micro-localized...which IMO is generally not the case.

Dan--A Green Drake? :eek:...WOW that is the earliest I've ever heard of them in this area. Where was it seen?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Well, has anyone seen the black bombers in the Truckee area?

As I've mentioned in the previous post , I saw a few last Wednesday. Been on the water everyday since...nada. :confused:

...Anymore suspected sightings of Green Drakes?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Dan LeCount
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Yea, I saw the ants for 2, maybe 3 days and now they're gone with the wind. Gonna be on the Cali side of the river more the next few days, Ill let you know if I see more. :D

Here's a few ant/fly pics from last week. I didn't include fish pics cause I didn't take any, they were just wee 14-16 inch trout, nothing to write home about, probably holdovers.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6785/dscn1518n.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/dscn1518n.jpg/)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6206/dscn1509s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/dscn1509s.jpg/)

Frank R. Pisciotta
05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Yesterday some of us were discussing that maybe with this warm weather we'd see some Winged Black Carpenter Ants.:nod: Well several just appeared on my back-deck. Now let's see if this is going to be sustained for a few days.

Dan has a very nice, floating pattern. Yesterday spoke to a fella who duped a nice RB at the surface on an ant pattern.

If so, then us locals will be on the the look-out for the 2nd Big Bugs of June...The Green Drake. Our annual Green Drake Watch is on!...see you on the water; I'll be out this evening. I found numerous, bulbous nymphs (both Grandis & Doddsi) while seining on Monday...they're ready.

Frank R. Pisciotta

DAVID95670
05-31-2012, 03:23 PM
I saw a drake rise at hirschdale two weeks ago not what i call a hatch but a big ugly fly flew off into a train while i was under the bridge