PDA

View Full Version : Dear wind

Icastnblast
05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
If you can hear me over the sound of your own self I'd like to make a deal with you. As you know we have our struggles, you are rarely there when I need you and you show up without much warning when I count on you not being around.This last hunting season I was forced to move forward with your minimal contributions and because of that I had nearly written you off for the year. Now, like Adel, you keep turning up out of the blue uninvited. What gives? I have a mission to accomplish, goals to reach, self confidence to gain, FISH TO CATCH!!! But you, wind, keep getting in my way. I know as you rip through the tules you notice those gear boys throwing their big nasties right into your face without thought or doubt and their boats tear through your wake like a baker smoothing out a cake's frosting; but take note as you pass me by how my lines tangle with your gusts, my flies fail to penetrate your wall, my lack of experience on a trolling motor to keep my boat directed into you (though this may just be amusing to you and possibly why you continue to harass me, you bully), and my weakening engine trying to trying to turn over as that rock wall inches closer and closer after battery failure from previously mentioned trolling motor.

So here is my proposed deal, you can continue to blow and disrupt as much as you'd like, BUT, I need you to accurately inform the weather channel of your plans. Thats all, just no surprises. Its a win win! what say you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
My friends who live at Lawson's Landing on Tomales Bay right on the Pacific ocean tell me they look for lower winds on average after the 4th of July each year.

Yikes.......

GreggH
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
After years of FF in nor cal both salt and fresh I've learned to deal with this in a couple ways. First, your gear must be up to the task. Charged batteries for your trolling motor is a must along with the right rod set ups. 6,7,8,9 wt rods are always rigged and ready. Look for protected area's to fish and toss side arm. Shorten your stroke and use more wind resistant flys. Flailing around in 15-20mph wind just makes you appreciate the calm days that much more. If it was easy, women and children would be out there. Did I just say that out loud?

Dabalone
05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't fight it, it will always win. If its forecast to be windy and I trust the forecast I don't go, if the wind kicks up while I am out there I first look for sheltered areas that may be productive, if I can't find any I pack it in. I can deal with some rain, cold, or hot conditions I will not deal with the wind.