PDA

View Full Version : Redington fly rod warranty

bphi
05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Anybody have a clue on their warranty. I got a rod through a friend who doesn't fish and the rod was given to him. I don't know much about their warranty. In other word do you have to be the original owner. I know for loomis with their new NRX there is a wild card you have to register and the same for orvis and sage. It's a good rod but just in case something happens i like to know for what I'm about to spend on it. It's an older model. The nano TI

Mike O
05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Anybody have a clue on their warranty. I got a rod through a friend who doesn't fish and the rod was given to him. I don't know much about their warranty. In other word do you have to be the original owner. I know for loomis with their new NRX there is a wild card you have to register and the same for orvis and sage. It's a good rod but just in case something happens i like to know for what I'm about to spend on it. It's an older model. The nano TI

No serial number, no registration necessary.

See http://www.redington.com/warranty.html

I bought a wayfarer from a garage sale for $20. It was missing the reel seat cap and lower threads. Sent it back with $35 return postage, and they sent me a replacement. Never have had a prob with Redington...that is why all the rods I use are Redington.

Mike

LNelson
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM

The Nano Ti is a great rod. I have had mixed luck with the current Redington warranty. If they have old stock of your model they will replace it, if not they replace it with a far inferior off-shore made rod from their current line-up. That is what happened to me. I was not impressed when I sent them a broken DFR and received junk in return, I let them know that.

Mike O
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I sent in a 5 piece wayfarer, got back a 6

Darian
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Ask your question of Redington, direct. Send 'em an e-mail.... On the other hand, you got a rod for little or nothing. Why worry about it???

Rich Morrison
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
This is the garbage that drives rod prices up, runs small time operators out of business, and results in souless Chinese made crap. Ive addressed this before on the forum...unconditional guarantees are the scourge on the industry. Who do think covers the cost of your $20 garage sale cum brand new redington? Does the rod fairy wave her magic wand and create a new rod? Rods should be guaranteed against flaws in material and workmanship...not abuse and carelessness. This is why the "big box" companies rule the market. They can afford to offer this service by overcharging for cheap offshore rods. Yes they are meeting market demand in doing so, but those of us who buy these rods and expect a free replacement no matter what happens need to realize what this attitude has done.

dynaflow
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Well said Sir.I had cause to send back a new BVK 790-4 from Australia last July as the 3 section cork grip came unglued (which made for some interesting casting :lol:) on C.I.last year.I would have been more than happy with a repair but they sent me a new rod.Wish they'd sent back the original as well as I could have "paid it forward" as they say...
Cheers
Peter

goby
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM
This is the garbage that drives rod prices up, runs small time operators out of business, and results in souless Chinese made crap. Ive addressed this before on the forum...unconditional guarantees are the scourge on the industry. Who do think covers the cost of your $20 garage sale cum brand new redington? Does the rod fairy wave her magic wand and create a new rod? Rods should be guaranteed against flaws in material and workmanship...not abuse and carelessness. This is why the "big box" companies rule the market. They can afford to offer this service by overcharging for cheap offshore rods. Yes they are meeting market demand in doing so, but those of us who buy these rods and expect a free replacement no matter what happens need to realize what this attitude has done.

I hear you. BTW, I'm hard on rods, and I buy new rods from Orvis because I know I'm going to break them. But I only buy American rods. I know they are expensive because they expect us to break them at least once. I've never broken my Orvis 2wt or 7 wt, but have broken my 4 wt three times. Each time they've been amazing. but it was a $700 rod, and I am the original owner. I'm not sure if you're ok with that, or if you think I'm part of the problem. But at least I only buy American.

DFrink
05-09-2012, 06:30 AM
I see your point, but really shouldn't you take this up with the rod company? It's not the consumer’s fault that the company chooses to offer a warranty without verifying purchase. Almost all of my rods are Redington because they are affordable and work. Do your expensive rods catch you more fish? I don't care to spend $500 on a fly rod (yes I could afford it, but choose not to); it's not why I fish. The idea that fishing is supposed to cost me somewhere around $1000 just for the gear is ridiculous (to me).

Sorry, but I couldn't resist commenting.

pgw
05-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Expecting replacement of used merchandise is running up the cost of goods and services.

I've had 3 rods repaired: a Fisher, a Powell (from Press' shop on the Esplanade in Chico), and a Winston...all material issues, none broken while slamming doors or windows, bending the rod improperly (landing a fish, pulling the line through the guides, jambing the tip into a tree, rock, or the ground when walking), or any other self induced manner...kinda like running a red light in my truck and expecting Dodge to replace it because a lot of metal got bent and glass got broken...now, if the engine craps out before the 75K mile warranty (which I purchased for additional cost) expires...

How about your toaster, computer, or !@#$%^&* smart phone...it your drop or misuse them and they stop working, do you expect the other consumers to pay for your mistakes?

Paul

DFrink
05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I agree, and wouldn't expect the repairs to be made. However if my toaster quit working because I tried to cook a pot roast in it and the company offered free replacement regardless of the reason, I would probably send it in. I'm not saying I would lie about why it quit working, but if they are silly enough to offer the service than why not use it?

Expecting replacement of used merchandise is running up the cost of goods and services.

I've had 3 rods repaired: a Fisher, a Powell (from Press' shop on the Esplanade in Chico), and a Winston...all material issues, none broken while slamming doors or windows, bending the rod improperly (landing a fish, pulling the line through the guides, jambing the tip into a tree, rock, or the ground when walking), or any other self induced manner...kinda like running a red light in my truck and expecting Dodge to replace it because a lot of metal got bent and glass got broken...now, if the engine craps out before the 75K mile warranty (which I purchased for additional cost) expires...

How about your toaster, computer, or !@#$%^&* smart phone...it your drop or misuse them and they stop working, do you expect the other consumers to pay for your mistakes?
Paul

Rich Morrison
05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I see your point, but really shouldn't you take this up with the rod company? It's not the consumer’s fault that the company chooses to offer a warranty without verifying purchase. Almost all of my rods are Redington because they are affordable and work. Do your expensive rods catch you more fish? I don't care to spend $500 on a fly rod (yes I could afford it, but choose not to); it's not why I fish. The idea that fishing is supposed to cost me somewhere around $1000 just for the gear is ridiculous (to me).

Sorry, but I couldn't resist commenting.

No apology needed. This is (quite evidently) a subject I feel strongly about and I enjoy reading comments and talking about it. I don't have a single graphite rod in my quiver that cost me more than about $300 and most were around $150. None of them came with a warranty as the folks who made them are not around anymore (the original Powell Rod Co and Walt Powell). I know a great rod repair guy who has fixed a few that have been damaged. There have also been one or two damaged beyond repair and I thank them for their service and get a replacement. I have bought several custom built rods from Jim Clarkson in Chico...mostly as gifts for familly and friends - again for no more than $300 tops. He fixes rods if they are damaged and I pay for the repair if it was caused by me or my kids (I have never had to return a rod for material or workmanship issues to Jim). If the rod was beyond repair, we'd buy a replacement...most likely at a small discount due to our loyalty to Jim and the fact that we know each other and he has been my rod guy for years. I respect the fact that he still needs to make money and he respects the fact that I'm a loyal customer and that I need a new rod at a reasonble price. That's how Press and Walt did things back when they were in business. Press did not like this trend he saw in the industry back then of unconditional warranties. Patronize the smaller time operators. There are a lot more than you think. Find a TL Johnson or Jim Clarkson and get your rods from them. Or buy from the companies that have reasonable warranties and make their rods here from top to bottom like Scott - although I think they are pretty pricey as well.

As to the Orivs buyer who commented earlier. Orvis is an American company..but I know little about where their rods are made. It would not surprise me if the buik of their line of rods was made overseas. But I could be wrong. But just think, if Orvis wasn't having to offer a free rod to every guy that slammed his rod in the car door or jammed a tip against a tree, that rod you bought for $700 would probably cost quite a bit less. And you could afford to replace it if you broke it.