PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report by guide Andrew Harris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Lower Sac: Apr 18, 2012 by Andrew: Excellent Dry Fly Fishing

The Lower Sac continues to fish great. Today was day two with Bruce & Roger. The nymph grab was good from the start today on everything from jimmy legs to S&M nymphs. The fish were really up in the shallow riffles once the mayflies started hatching around 11am. After lunch it was dry fly time. We had two incredible wading spots and hooked at least two dozen fish on dries. Easy wading, great weather, and fish chowing dry flies - what more can you ask for? Flows came up to 4500cfs today. This is a great flow for floating and wading. I saw my first golden stone of the season today. There were also quite a few tan caddis size 16 mixed in with the PMDs and callibaetis.

Fall River: Apr 28, by Andrew: Great Opening Day

We had a really good day on fall river today. We covered a lot of water to find fish, but found a lot when we found them. We started off with a couple dozen small to medium size fish and ended the day with some nice fish up to 17". The weed beds and hatches are non-existent, but there are plenty of fish around. It won't be long before the weeds are thick and the hatches are intense. Mid-may should be phenomenal.

Pit River: May 1, by Andrew

Dax and I fished the Pit today on our day off. Pit 5 was raging today - it looked about 2000cfs - totally unfishable. In stark contrast, Pit 3 and 4 looked great. We caught a few fish on Pit 4. There are a few big salmonflies about and some large mayflies, too. It was pretty windy today and fishing was challenging, but conditions were great in Pit 4.

Hat Creek: May 3, by Andrew

I took Randy to Burney Creek and Hat Creek today. Burney Creek is high but is fishable in a few prime spots. Not a lot of fish around, though. Hat Creek looks great despite getting shallower every season. Randy landed a nice 12" rainbow on a nymph and hooked a bunch of smaller fish on dries. There was a sparse hatch of small PMDs size 16-18 in the afternoon.

In general, the hatches seem late all over the intermountain region. No sign of stoneflies on the McCloud or Hat Creek, although a few are buzzing around on the Pit. Fall River is having a late start, with the fish not dispersed yet and the weeds just starting to grow in. This late start bodes well for the next few weeks. Book a trip soon for some good dry fly fishing.

Andrew Harris

http://www.andrewharrisflyfishing.com/