PDA

View Full Version : First day report

Jay Murakoshi
05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
After I eat dinner. I don't want to let the rooster out of the bag, opps i meant cat

Jay

FISHEYE
05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
oh come on! I have been waiting for this all freakin day! :o)

Jay Murakoshi
05-07-2012, 07:00 PM
OK, here's the report.
We got on the water early and motored down to the light house beach, actually we sat in that cove right off the point to wait for the Canelo Brother. It took them a while to get there because the bait is in Sergento. So they made the long run early, stocked up on bait and finally got to use. No problem, I was in no hurry.
After we got the bait, we head back towards Punta Perico but then head East to check the buoys for dorado. After checking 10 or more buoys we starting trolling teasers to bring out the marlin but nothing. Oh by the way, it as a foggy morning, like drippy
After testing the waters for an hour Efren said let's for roosters, fine with me. As soon as we got there, there were a bunch of roosters already chasing bait. A couple drifts with the current and around the point, we motored towards the two houses and saw some big, no HUGE boils. Motored close and threw 2 baits and the surface came alive.
Crap, fish on - first cast. Off to the races, and the backing was getting skinny on the spool.
Finally turned the fish and started gaining. Damn, are we out of shape but having a sore knee didn't help. About 20 minutes later, this was sitting on my lap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1874.jpg

Boga'ed around 38lbs

The school was still busting bait and making the surface foamy and looking good. I told Efren to grab a rod and I'd throw bait. It didn't take long for another hook up. We watched both fish track the fly all the way and inhale it. This was Efren fish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1886.jpg

What fly???? Here it is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1783.jpg
The wig hair tan and white

That's it for now, I'm going to bed. Another day, another rooster

Jay

FISHEYE
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
WHAT? Only 2? :o) Great report Senor Jay. I am looking forward to seeing you and seeing Efren even more. Have not even started yet and I am already planning next year.

Darian
05-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah!!!! Those are great looking fish. I'm envious. Even had ceviche' for dinner tonight. Gotta go tie some flies. :nod:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow.........that first picture is fantastic.

What beautiful Rooster Fish.

Send that photo to Gamakatsu?

I loved that trip a few years ago.......super good value.

Thanks Jay.

Jay Murakoshi
05-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Phil, we had a few more but I ended the day around noon, ya know when you're here for two months, you pace yourself. I forgot to mention, there are also some big jacks in the area.
I will be concentrating on the marlin tomorrow ( or today) It's 3 am and I'm already up, packed and ready to fish.
Yesterday was quite toasty, in the mid 90's and NO WIND. Today could reach triple digits and no wind predicted
My main setup is a 9 or 10wt. TFO - BVK, RIO WF-9 F/I, 7'-9' leader 20lbs.

Hope to give you a report later

Jay

FISHEYE
05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Prediction for the next 10 days is mid to low 90s for the next few days and then when the Alaska boys, with our Mississippi kicker arrive 100. Good luck today!

Steve R
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Beautiful, see you Sat.
Steve

vernonp
05-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Well.....it has been up around 90 here but has cooled off today. I'm getting ready for the heat......and frantically looking for my tan wig hair!

FISHEYE
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I bought 12 colors but no tan. WTF?

vernonp
05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Phil.....the pic of the fly looks just a little darker that what I would call tan. Ill bet you have some beige and some brown that you could mix. Besides.....that was probably the only "Tan" day for the month of May.

Jay Murakoshi
05-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Can't report any big fish caught as a matter of fact, I caught very few. It's not that the rooster's weren't there. I spent most of the day looking for marlin and dorado. We searched a lot of buoys and covered a lot of water looking for the marlin and checking every buoy for dorado. We saw a few dorado but trying to get they to eat the bait was next too impossible. They just were not hungry. But they are there. Long boat ride for nothing, not really, cause you don't know if they are there if you don't try
Now for the roosters on the beach. They were there but not on the chew like they were the day before. WHY? Well, earlier in the morning there had been boat traffic fishing for them and spooked them.
Efren and I sat there both days waiting for the bait guys to deliver us the bait and we watched BIG roosters chasing lady fish. Yesterday we saw on roosters chasing a small bait fish, that rooster was around 50+ pounds.

Although, I did hook 4 roosters and "farmed" every one of them. Frustrating but fun. They were all hooked on both colors of the wig hair fly and one on a white knight sea habit. A couple boats with Bulla guy were doing pretty good, I watch them hook a lot of roosters and lady fish. They were having fun. So far, I haven't seen a lot of needle fish but when the water starts warming up, they will show up.

As for the tan color hair, there are two other colors that are light but I think they are beige colored hair. I'm starting to dye my own tan colored hair, using yellow and orange with a splash of black ink until I get the right color I want. Attach the eyes really good, they are getting chewed off but the fly still works.

See you guys this Saturday

Jay