PDA

View Full Version : McCumber / Manzanita

Lincoln Gray
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Fished McCumber this last weekend, fishing was fair to excellent. Wind played a big role, but we managed to catch fish. Hot patterns where XMay-Olive (16,18), XMay-Riding Hood (16), Redheaded Stepchild (16,18) and Zebra Midge (18,20). Wiggletails in olive and olive/burnt orange worked also. No damsels coming off, but that should start real soon.

Ray Narbaitz and I are doing a what is called the Lassen Stillwater Tour. We are doing it on June 2. Here is an outline from Lance Gray and Company's website.

For more info go to www.lancegrayandcompany.com

At the foot of Mount Lassen are two pieces of stillwater that have become synonymous with fly-fishing. The Lassen Stillwater Tour is a combination of these two great stillwater; Lake McCumber and Manzanita Lake. The lakes are true fly-fishing gems. Lake McCumber sits below Lassen Volcanic National Park, just north of Highway 44. It’s a shallow lake with channels flowing through it. Weed beds add structure for many types of insects to hide and populate, and gives great cover to trout. Manzanita Lake sits just inside the Lassen Volcanic National Park. It is a wonderland for trout and fly-fishers. The lake has deep holes lined with weed beds and Manzanita islands spread throughout the rick lake. Logs, structure and crystal clear water awaits the angler. this lake is world famous, with amazing Carpenter Ant, Callibeatis and the Motorboat Caddis hatches to fuel the trout and fly-fishers dreams. This is a one day tour, hosted by Lincoln Gray and Ray Narbaitz, two great stillwater instructors. The tour will consist of access areas, hatches, rigging, fly selection and time spent fishing both waters. The tour doesn’t have transportation included, simply due to the fact the lakes are so close together and anglers can fish until dark.

Woodman
05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Good to hear McCumber is back in form.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Years ago (1970s) Hal Janssen turned us onto these two super sexy fly fishing lakes.

We use to fish McCumber in the morning and drive to Mazanita for the afternoon hatch.

Real high class still water fly fishing.

goby
05-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, that sounds like a great deal. How many people do you expect? And can you turn an intermediate stream fly fisher (been fly fishing for 14 years) into an decent lake fly fisher?

I have a 7 weight with Cortland Clear Camo, Rio Indicator, and Sinktip lines. I also have a pontoon boat. Is that all the gear I need?

Lincoln Gray
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes, and if you need anything else, we will have it. Contact my brother at 530-517-2204 or email him at lancegrayandcompany@yahoo.com

Thanks -