PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek?

kyburz
05-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Camping at Potatoe Patch Cmpgrnd this week. Never have been to this area before and thought I'd try fishing Deer Creek. Any thoughts on conditions, flies,etc. Any responses appreciated.

Ben J
05-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen it recently so i don't know for sure, but i would expect very high conditions..

I was up there this time last year and it was really raging. Things might be a little more settled this year and i'm sure you could find some soft seams to high stick if you look around. Let us know how things look up there!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Check with Lincoln Gray @ Sierra Stream & Mountain fly shop in Chico, CA.

JasonB
05-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I have not fished Deer creek personally so I don't know for sure, but I would guess that flows would be fine right now. Looking at the gauge down at Vina (way down near Chico) it is reading about 350cfs. So I would guess that up high near Potato patch the flows would be reasonable enough to catch a few fish...?
JB

RaffiB
05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Fished it Monday and Tuesday of last week. Water was a little high, but lots of fishable seams, especially at the edges. the weekday. Had some decent luck down in Ishii area, but got a few here and there around the campgrounds. Water by Potatoe patch was definatley faster, whiter and less fishable higher than by the upper two campgrounds.

Slice
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Also was there at the end of may last year and it was scary high. Went up to butt valley res (think float tube) then down to the feather which was absurdly high.

Someone once told me the fish dont leave when the water is high, they just congregate into the best holes you can see.

_SLY_
05-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Fish the edges right now. Good luck with the crowds.

Lincoln Gray
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
The water is a little high, but fishing can be done. If I were fishing it, I would head up stream around Elam Creek or even the meadow area. You will find better water, but also more preasure.
Flies that always work are Golden Stones (#12,14), XMay-Olive (#16,18), BH PRince Nymph (14,16).
There probably not much of anything hatching, but with warmer weather on the way things might start happening soon.

kyburz
05-08-2012, 06:03 AM
thanks Lincoln for the good info. I plan on stopping by the shop on my way up this morning. Hopefully I ll be able to thank you in person.