PDA

View Full Version : Rio sinking line for lake trout???

Icastnblast
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I need to get my hands on a sinking line for lake trout. Mainly stripping buggers and other similiar patterns. I am assuming I will be targetting the 10' to 30' depths. What line have you gentleman found that casts well with a 6wt and can be fished in those depths. Full sink or sink tip, yada yada yada.

Also Id like to add that I am a Rio fan, I am comfortable with those lines and since having faith and confidence in your equipment can mean the difference sometimes, I prefer to stick with rio.

Thanks guys

DFrink
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I fish a Rio Intermediate line and I like it. It does have a lot of memory (I always stretch it before I start the day fishing), but this is my first I-line so I have nothing to compare it to. I do like the welded loop that it comes with, pain in the ass when you're sitting in a tube and you nail knot catches a guide. I wouldn't recommend it for a lot deaper than maybe 10'(that may be pushing it), you'll want a type 3 or 4 for that depth and deeper.

Dan

BigOkieWhiteBoy916
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I need to get my hands on a sinking line for lake trout. Mainly stripping buggers and other similiar patterns. I am assuming I will be targetting the 10' to 30' depths. What line have you gentleman found that casts well with a 6wt and can be fished in those depths. Full sink or sink tip, yada yada yada.

Also Id like to add that I am a Rio fan, I am comfortable with those lines and since having faith and confidence in your equipment can mean the difference sometimes, I prefer to stick with rio.

Thanks guys

Rio's Deep 7 lake line is what I use and love it. It also casts great even on a 5wt.

Woodman
05-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Thanks guys

I've used a T-11 shooting head with success. Best way to cover a lot of water. 30 feet is a long way down with any standard fly line. That said, handling 50 feet or more of running line from a float tube is difficult at best.

BillB
05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I like my Rio Type 6. Sinks like a rock and cast very well. The running line shoots like crazy.

Terry Thomas
05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Here a second for the Deep 7.
T.

DFrink
05-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Maybe I should clarify that the I-line is an aqualux line.

I fish a Rio Intermediate line and I like it. It does have a lot of memory (I always stretch it before I start the day fishing), but this is my first I-line so I have nothing to compare it to. I do like the welded loop that it comes with, pain in the ass when you're sitting in a tube and you nail knot catches a guide. I wouldn't recommend it for a lot deaper than maybe 10'(that may be pushing it), you'll want a type 3 or 4 for that depth and deeper.

Dan

catch&release
05-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I fish Rio in all my floating lines. For water from 1 to 10 feet I like the Cortland clear camo intermediate, it has the least amount of memory of all of the clear intermediates out there in my opinion. Anything past 10 feet I like a type 4 uniform sink line. In the fall when the fish are very aggressive and feeding on everything they can find they will come much closer to your tube I fish a 30 foot T-11 attached to my intermediate line.

I found that the Cortland intermediate with its rocket taper design casts a mile.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
The best selling/most popular lake line has been the old Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate slow to medium sinking (1.5 to 2 ips) full line for decades now but the new Rio CamoLux Intermediate full line with welded loops is taking that place slowly now.

For faster sinking lines Rio has full sinking lines in type 3, type 4 and type 6 plus the "Deep 7".

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/lake-sinking/hover

It just depends how fast you want/need to sink your fly.

OceanSunfish
05-03-2012, 11:44 AM
You probably need the Deep 7. But, with some patience, the Teeny 130 type line gets down there too.... In Rio, there's a 24' sink tip in 150 grains too. I have used both the T130 and Rio 150. I prefer the thinner T130 for trout fishing, but the Rio 150 is more durable and is a DC type line too. Durability is important especially if you're fishing from a boat and stepping all over your line.....

Charlie S
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Like was said above, fishing from 0-8 feet I use an intermediate. But when I need to get deep, 15+ ft I go to a #6 full sinking line, and I prefer one of the uniform sink lines at that. It's difficult enough to fish deeper than 10 feet with anything and keeping your rod tip pointed down and in the water straight at your fly as possible will help with hook sets, which should be line strip sets and not raising your rod. Use your line first to determine how fast it actually sinks, casting your maximum distance, strip some line to allow sinking as fast as possible, and then when you catch bottom you will know how long to let it settle before starting your retrieve. I really like this method in lakes where I fish dragon fly nymphs very deep in channels...very productive on large fish. Six to seven weight rods over five weights and lighter are another advantage in this fishing.

bigfly
05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
If you mean trout in a lake, or Lake trout, the Rio line I use often is the 300 gr DC.
Same setup for Pyramid w/an 8wt.
Dredge or troll. Bump, twitch, or strip. (But like charlie said, "Line strip sets". Keep that tip in the water.)
With floating flies sunken, or seriously weighted.....Blood midges, to 10" streamers.
I control depth by forward speed/strip speed.
Works on Big Bass too.
Get down, get fishy.

Jim

goby
05-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Here's another vote for Cortland Clear Camo. It is amazing line. I use it for depths to about 8 feet.

catch&release
05-05-2012, 08:00 AM
If you mean trout in a lake, or Lake trout, the Rio line I use often is the 300 gr DC.
Same setup for Pyramid w/an 8wt.
Dredge or troll. Bump, twitch, or strip. (But like charlie said, "Line strip sets". Keep that tip in the water.)
With floating flies sunken, or seriously weighted.....Blood midges, to 10" streamers.
I control depth by forward speed/strip speed.
Works on Big Bass too.
Get down, get fishy.

Jim

It casts a mile and I love it in shallow clear water for staulking big fish. I also will use it in the Fall at Pyramid when the tui chubs are in close to shore.