PDA

View Full Version : Ross Cimarron 2- pre- or post-1998?

Barnett
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I just bought a used Ross Cimarron 2, reported to be a pre-1998 version. Trying to figure out whether this is true, as the post-1998 spools are apparently not compatible. It looks like a post-1998 version to me from what I could find online (apparently the newer model had adjustable screws on the spool to change the retrieve direction without disassembling the reel body). Can anybody tell which version this is from the pics?

Thanks!

RAS
05-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Check out the Ross website.They have that information available.
Good luck, RAS

Ken Kondo
05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I have a Ross Cimarron C-3, which I bought in early 1990s. The side opposite from the handle does not have circular holes like the picture you posted. This might help you determine what version yours is.
Ken Kondo

Barnett
05-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks folks, it does appear that the alternate position for the screws on the inside edge of the spool indicates that this is a post-1998 model. It wasn't entirely clear from the Ross website though (I had looked there before).

The Cimarron looks like a nice smooth, relatively lightweight reel. I am looking forward to fishing it!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I think you have the latest or last version they made before they discontinued that series.

Any Ross dealer can order you spools (probably black only) for most of the Ross discontinued reels.

*The only thing I liked better about their discontinued Gunnison reel was the fact that it had a machined solid spool with no screws. This makes it better for larger game fish.....

**What is good about Ross Reel Company is they have a lifetime warranty, parts, service, repair and spools for their old reels.

Dave E.
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey Barnett,

I shot a quick pic for you, of the guts from a C-1 that came from Ross during the last year of production, for comparison sake.

Best, Dave

Barnett
05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Good to know, thanks Bill and Dave. The reel feels really nice, looking forward to testing it out soon, maybe Putah? Otherwise i will wait until the Sierra waterways become prime.