PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Scouting

BigSmallFly
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, just like most Opening days, the streams above three thousand feet are either inaccessible, or flowing too fast to fish safely.

We scouted a lot of areas the American today. If it isn't controlled by a dammn, it wasn't worth trying to get to today. Iowa Hill was running so high and fast, it was harder to wade in than here in Sacramento. We scouted a lot of water today off I 80 and didn't even break out the rods.

Anyone fish anywhere off of 50, 88, or 4?

k9mark
04-28-2012, 09:47 PM
The Stanislaus and Beaver Creek were both to high and fast.

rouleur35
04-29-2012, 09:45 AM
west carson flows were not too bad, water not to murky, no fish to be seen despite alleged stocking 2 wks in a row. only saw one fish caught, not too crowded, fished at the 89 bridge from 3-6, nymphs and a streamer

south fork of american above kyburz is very fast moving now

a week ago east walker was very nice, 2 large browns, a third lost in 2 hr fishing, all off copper zebra midge

KJE
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Found a small stream in the Grass Valley area that was high but fishable and caught some mighty small rainbows.

Aside from that, everything I saw on the 80 and 89 corridors was too high and too cold. The Big T looked ok-ish around town, but I didn't have time to fish it.

Looks like a couple of weeks until it's go time.

Morgan
05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
west carson flows were not too bad, water not to murky, no fish to be seen despite alleged stocking 2 wks in a row. only saw one fish caught, not too crowded, fished at the 89 bridge from 3-6, nymphs and a streamer

south fork of american above kyburz is very fast moving now

a week ago east walker was very nice, 2 large browns, a third lost in 2 hr fishing, all off copper zebra midge

Oh there's fish in the river off 89 alright :) And those little cuts in the carson sure know how to shake a sz 20. I landed about 20 fish in 3hrs and farmed just as many. Somebody get me a tractor so I can pick up farmn. I loved watching all the bait dunkers snarl in frusteration as I plucked fish after fish. And they got a big 0 while I was there :) I'll probably be back in the morning...only a 25min drive.

rouleur35
05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
that's awesome, i went back out yesterday from 3-6, fished around the first western bridge on 88 from 89, again nothing, no one else with anything either that i saw.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tom

mikel
05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
East side creeks are flowing a little high but clear and fishable...those around Bridgeport all produced good fish Sunday and Monday for me. W Walker had some green to it at Chris Flat but was more brown only a couple of miles down. Little Walker appeared near perfect.

I think cold night time temps are moderating creek flows. Heat could change all this...

Morgan
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
that's awesome, i went back out yesterday from 3-6, fished around the first western bridge on 88 from 89, again nothing, no one else with anything either that i saw.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tom

YOu must have just missed me. I was at the bridge...in a blk hat and blk jacket. I was wearing jeans because i was too lazy for the waders....kinda nice :) I cant give away all the secrets....there's fish there. Try changing depths...adding weight. A good mend counts.

I took a buddy of mine out fishn today. First time fly fishing. He picked up a decent drift ..but his casting needs work. He even managed 2 fish and missed a good half dozen cause he still likes to set up stream.

rouleur35
05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
was back at east walker yesterday, fished just before the first bridge, from 11:30-2, 3 browns of dries, bwo, 1 off emerger, missed 3 more and lost 1,
then tried west walker on way home, nothing doing there, did have a fish hit my indicator a couple of times but i didn't have a big pink fly, oh well

rouleur35
05-03-2012, 05:52 PM
west carson today 11-1:30, fished indicators and streamers, lost one fish and a bunch of flys, a little windy, didn't see anyone else catching anything either.

tom

Morgan
05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
like shootn fish in a barrel :)