PDA

View Full Version : Fishing partner 5-2-12

DavidB
04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm relatively new to Ca and I have a friend coming into town 5-1-12. We are looking to go fishing Wednesday may 2nd. I live in Sacramento and it would be great if someone could show us the ropes. Looking to target Striper, shad, or steel head. Thanks David

Rossflyguy
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I believe the American River has all three right now. Check for info at Kiene's.

flynoob
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I went to the Feather River last week and caught two 5-7 lb steelhead in about 1.5 hours. Only fish the riffles and use two-nymph rig - yellow egg on top with caddis pupa dropper. Or just use caddis pupa. I had about 5 feet from indicator to puppa and one bb shot about 10 inches above the fly. Both fish came on the swing, well after my drag-free drift. So just let that indicator swing all the way back behind you and wait a good couple seconds before recasting.

PM me if you have any questions. I'll probably go again on tuesday, but I can't make it out on Wednesday.

rjt
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
wow - what a great day on the feather. thanks for the report. I'm fairly new at this myself. Usually spend time on the Yuba but thats not available now with the high flows. Question, didn't realize the feather was wadable. Thought you had to do it by drift boat. If you do wade, any recommendations on where you can access? Thanks.

flynoob
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
You can access both sides of the river. I think you are looking for signs that say Oroville recreation center, or something to that effect. The entry ways have dirt roads that follow the river. Look for riffles in the river as you drive along the dirt road. I was wade fishing the "low flow" section.
Saw a couple drift boats, but it was very wadeable.

rjt
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
thanks. I'll definitely give it a shot.

rjt
05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
One more question Flynoob, I googled oroville recereation center with not much success although I did come up with Lake Oroville State Recreation Area (which covers 74 square miles or so). Are there access points within the general vicinity of the dam? PM would be fine. Thanks again.

Cmcculloch
05-01-2012, 08:08 AM
There is a good detailed map of the Feather River that shows access points with GPS points. There is a fly shop in Chico that can tell you the best places to wade with these flows. I've heard the "low flow" area is at a consistent rate and temp but haven't fished it yet. It's a few miles long.

Cmcculloch
05-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Feather River Current Report - Call Sierra Stream & Moutain fly shop in Chico, CA - 530/345-4261. Also Fish First in Chico is another fly shop there. Kiene's probably has the maps. More info on the site out of the Forum under "fishing reports."

rjt
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
great advice, thanks so much.

ganderlander2
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Its the oroville wildlife area, access to the low flow section is off 162. Look for the signs, if you hit the afterbay, you've gone to far.

flynoob
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
everything Cmcc and ganglander said

Blueracer
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM
So who else got hooked up there recently?

Woodman
05-02-2012, 05:26 PM
One more question Flynoob, I googled oroville recereation center with not much success although I did come up with Lake Oroville State Recreation Area (which covers 74 square miles or so). Are there access points within the general vicinity of the dam? PM would be fine. Thanks again.

There was a great article in California Fly Fisher magazine on the low flow several months back. All the access points, riffles, etc. in detail. PM me if you want more detail.