PDA

View Full Version : Rio Outbound Short question

mike borba
04-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Bill and others recommended the Rio OBS for bass fishing. My question: Because of the short head should I get a 9wt. line for an 8wt. rod? Mike

BillB
04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
I am no expert on the issue by any means. With that being said I have both my 7 wt bass rigs lined with 7 wt lines. I read much about over lining but have not done it myself. My OBS floater can typically pick up the head, some of the running line and shoot a fairly large bug without a false cast. Just pick it up and shoot. Love it! My previous line(s) were DT and could toss a bug a long way but after you had s bunch of line out.

aaron
04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
They are already overlined for their size so unless you are trying to throw huge flies on a super stiff rod the same size as your rod should work fine.

GreggH
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
No, 8wt line for the 8wt rod. Now the Q is what sink rate should you get. I would have 2 the first is T6 and the next would be the intermediate. At low tide striper's and LMB cruise the corridors that are formed by the grass laying down and you simply can't fish them effectively with the type 6. To many guy's overlook these area's because they have to heavy of head and are out of the skinny game. MY 2 BTW- That fish came from 18" of water.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC00650-1.jpg

BillB
04-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Me too Greg, I'll throw a t6 for really deep situations and an intermediate from just under surface to maybe 6-10'. The intermediate can incur interesting results with a surface film darting type bug. I like the t6 for the surf too. The Rio shoots like a rocket!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Some people are using the Rio OBS coldwater type 6 sinkrate instead of the T14 or leadcore heads because it sinks almost as fast and cast much nicer.

BillB
04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Heck of a lot easier on my old parts for sure.