PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 89 Trip

BobVP
04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Okay My Friends....
I have a desire to do something this summer I have never done, which a little embarrassing considering I am a native... I want to start fishing near Downieville (Lav, NFY, Lady..etc) then head over the hill to Greyeagle area (NFF) and then (and this is the part I haven't done) follow 89 north. I'll end up fishing all the spots I have fished before along the way near Chester (Butt Valley, Warner Road...) then head up through Lassen (Haven't been on the east side of that park in 40 years) and fish Hat, Pit, Fall (I'll have my canoe with me). Then off to fish the McCloud (Only fished the Mccloud on time), Upper Sac.

It may be my only trip of the summer given economic constraints, i.e,; If there is work I need to do it! So I am asking this of you folks that know better the "places in between": What one place should I not miss? What one road should I take off the highway for a day? Is there a little stream I should see or fish? (I love small streams) What is best for McCloud (Fowlers...conservancy...), or Feather...or "between"?

I have fished all of the above waters with the exception of the Feather so I know where I want to return to and I am usually a "successful" fisher, that is: I always enjoy myself, fish or no fish, so any spot that is beautiful and might have fish is good. And, I would love to find a new (to me) place to put on the list of places I've fished.

Don't need the special secret place. Have very little desire to catch 24" trout (I didn't say "NO Desire"...I do fish the Fall after all and the flats of the Hat..) but have a great desire to fish places that are beautiful and where the fish ain't dumb.

Thanks

Bob

Fly Guy Dave
04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
One place I would suggest, right next to 89 in Lassen NP is Manzanita Lake. Some nice sized and relatively smart trout in that lake. Having your canoe along will be a big plus for access and comfort.

KJE
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Shoot, I did that exact drive in the opposite direction last fall. let me check my notes for any suggestions. Sounds like you've got most of it covered.

JGB
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Here's a good book...no secret spots though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Sierra-Nevada-Revised-Edition/dp/1607025973

Mik
04-27-2012, 03:46 PM
If you want to catch a lot of fish, the Upper MCloud is always a good bet. If you want to fish the most amazing place in the world and catch the fish of a lifetime, go to the Conservancy.

Squaw Creek up by McCloud is very special too, you have a pretty rigorous hike on a fire road to get to the creek. brings lot of water and/or filter.

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip. Can't wait for the report.

BobVP
05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks Mik, KJE and Dave for all that and Thanks also go to the two that sent the private messages. My trip is inching towards an actual "plan".

Mike O
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
If you said which month, I missed it.

That being said, I always have good luck finding fish in early June on Lower, Lower Hat Creek. This is the area below the park on 299 where Hat flows under the road. Take the dirt road just west (uphill) of the park, drive to the end, walk down to the creek and fish. Usually hit the tail end of the Salmonfly hatch at that time.

I have only ever seen max. 2 other cars in there in the evenings, when the Powerhouse Riffle is shoulder-to-shoulder...and the fish are hungry.

Mike

atavuss
05-19-2012, 08:30 AM
If you said which month, I missed it.

That being said, I always have good luck finding fish in early June on Lower, Lower Hat Creek. This is the area below the park on 299 where Hat flows under the road. Take the dirt road just west (uphill) of the park, drive to the end, walk down to the creek and fish. Usually hit the tail end of the Salmonfly hatch at that time.

I have only ever seen max. 2 other cars in there in the evenings, when the Powerhouse Riffle is shoulder-to-shoulder...and the fish are hungry.

Mike

Is that rattlesnake country? I just drove through there Monday and Wednesday on my way to and from Cedarville, the water looked high but clear and fishable.

BobVP
05-19-2012, 03:18 PM
As a matter of fact I have fished that section a few times now (Not as successfully as Carbon Flats...) and have never seen a snake. But then I've never seen a snake on the Pit either and I am always warned about that possibility.

I think snakes don't like me....

Mike O
05-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Triangle lake, east side of Lassen NP

Terry Thomas
05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
BobVP,
You never should have said that!!!!

BobVP
05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Yep Terry you are probably correct.

Mind you though I have seen plenty of rattlers in my life, just not any while fishing. I even saw one on the Trinity once while whitewater canoeing a section of the lower river...dang thing was in the water! It did not look happy, which actually may be typical for a rattlesnake anyway...I don't their jaws let them smile much.

Now I really need to keep my eyes open!

BobVP
05-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Okay My Friends....
I have a desire to do something this summer I have never done, which a little embarrassing considering I am a native... I want to start fishing near Downieville (Lav, NFY, Lady..etc) then head over the hill to Greyeagle area (NFF) and then (and this is the part I haven't done) follow 89 north. I'll end up fishing all the spots I have fished before along the way near Chester (Butt Valley, Warner Road...) then head up through Lassen (Haven't been on the east side of that park in 40 years) and fish Hat, Pit, Fall (I'll have my canoe with me). Then off to fish the McCloud (Only fished the Mccloud on time), Upper Sac.

It may be my only trip of the summer given economic constraints, i.e,; If there is work I need to do it! So I am asking this of you folks that know better the "places in between": What one place should I not miss? What one road should I take off the highway for a day? Is there a little stream I should see or fish? (I love small streams) What is best for McCloud (Fowlers...conservancy...), or Feather...or "between"?

I have fished all of the above waters with the exception of the Feather so I know where I want to return to and I am usually a "successful" fisher, that is: I always enjoy myself, fish or no fish, so any spot that is beautiful and might have fish is good. And, I would love to find a new (to me) place to put on the list of places I've fished.

Don't need the special secret place. Have very little desire to catch 24" trout (I didn't say "NO Desire"...I do fish the Fall after all and the flats of the Hat..) but have a great desire to fish places that are beautiful and where the fish ain't dumb.

Thanks

Bob

Headed out tomorrow and I have a little problem...I need new tippet and a few other things! I thought I'd get some last week but no go...I am headed toward Truckee, via Grass Valley so I'm not gonna' get it at Kiene's (Sorry Bill...) so where can I go? Is the fly shop in Nevada city still open? (His last fish report is years old...) How about West Fly in Truckee, are they back this year? Some other place in Truckee? Any help appreciated and THANKS AGAIN for all the advice and creeks. Too many to make in one trip so I've already planned to go again in July.
Any of you see a white Forester with a green Navarro canoe on top stop by and chat.

Fly Guy Dave
05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Mountain Hardware and Sport in Truckee has plenty of fly fishing gear and tackle. Easy to find and very helpful staff.

--F.G. Dave