PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe

Scott V
04-27-2012, 07:28 AM
MY cousin will be fishing Lake Tahoe this weekend and was wondering how to fish the lake from a small boat. I have no idea since I have never fished it. I know there are smallies in the Keys and trout down deep. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
That is a lot of water to fish.....maybe trolling?

See if there are any tackle shops on the lake to contact.

Trout should be still fairly shallow this early.

Has Mackinaw and Kokanee too, but they are usually deeper than the trout.

Morgan
04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Most just fish the bottom w/ a minnow and flashers....bouncing it off the bottom. I hear the mack fishing was phenominal this year. Ive got a buddy that works in True Value in south lake tahoe, ca. Its in the Raleys shopping center. They have minnows and what ever else you need. Go in there and see Donny.

Dan LeCount
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Usually they stock some of the more popular tourist places with truck trout and sometimes that attracts the alpha predators. I also heard rumors they were threatening to poison the keys to wipe out the bass, not sure if they went through with it yet or not. Call the boys at Tahoe fly fishing outfittters in south lake, they might have some up to date details for you. If you go through there, make sure to buy a handful of flies. Small fly shops dont run on air and cant be the information hubs without some business to help pay to keep the lights on.

neil
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Been years since I fished it, but standard technique for browns is to top-line rainbow trout pattern Rapalas. The key is to run 'em WAY back, like 150-250 feet off the boat. Troll fast, about 5 mph, and fish near shore, over structure if you can. Make sure those baits are tuned right and running correctly.

Otherwise, the macs are down deep. No help there.

Scott V
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll let me cousin now. I told him to just fish deep.

Morgan
04-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Usually they stock some of the more popular tourist places with truck trout and sometimes that attracts the alpha predators. I also heard rumors they were threatening to poison the keys to wipe out the bass, not sure if they went through with it yet or not. Call the boys at Tahoe fly fishing outfittters in south lake, they might have some up to date details for you. If you go through there, make sure to buy a handful of flies. Small fly shops dont run on air and cant be the information hubs without some business to help pay to keep the lights on.

They didnt poison the lake or the keys but they did a bunch of shock treatment and pulled a ton of lmb outta the keys and other marinas. But they will NEVER be able to get em all. Its an uphill battle.

Rossflyguy
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow, largemouth bass?! I wouldn't think they'd be able to reproduce there.