PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise on fishing this area.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
To Whom It May Concern,

I am going to be in Sacramento this summer interning for Fish and Wildlife in the Arden-Arcade area. I am an avid east coast fly fisherman, spending the majority of my time in the small streams of North and South Carolina (Chattooga, Davidson, French Broad, Saluda Rivers, etc.). I currently have a 4 piece, 5 weight Redington Red Fly Rod with the accompanying Red Fly reel. I have the top of the line waders, boots, fly vest, etc. but have not used them much because they are unnecessary where I fish. I am not terribly familiar with the rivers in the Sacramento area, but I noticed there are a lot of streams in the Eldorado National Forest and I am really interested in getting in some remote mountain streams on the weekends.

I was looking to find out a few things before I head out that direction:

1) Will I need my waders and boots this summer? It's an awful lot to pack and I prefer not to fish with them anyway, but if the water is going to be too cold to wade, I'll need them.
2) Will my rod and reel work in the streams in that area? I don't want to bring them out if I am going to end up buying something new because they are not sufficient.
3) Where are some of the best fly fishing spots? I assume I will be traveling to Eldorado every weekend, as is the case with the fishing where I am from. I don't want the "honey holes" but I anticipate I will be fishing the first weekend I am there and I would like some idea of where to get started.

Thanks for all of your help!

Respectfully,
Khalil Madani

--
Khalil Madani II
Clemson '10
(352) 206-1039

Morgan
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Bring everything you have and get out there and fish!
Your gonna have to spend time on the water to find fish.
They are out there..but wont be handed out.
Lots of different regs in this area. So do your research before heading out.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
You can call our shop from anywhere in the US on our toll free number.

1-800-400-0359

We are open 7 days a week....

BigSmallFly
04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
This area can be very special or frustrating.

You can fish anything from Stripers, Steelhead, Shad and trout right in town on a big river. There's fishing all year round, only the type of fish changes.

If you want to drive a little and fish mountain rivers, or alpine lakes, there is the Stanislaus, American, Yuba and Feather River Drainages all within a few hours of driving. All of them go from really small streams holding 6-10" wilds, to mid to large size rivers where you can get into much bigger fish. The frustration is you can look at a map and go crazy following forestry roads (4x4 usually not required) to go check out a new stream.

Don't forget to check out the east side of the range, but It is a longer drive.

A size 5 rod is a good all around rod, I have caught Salmon, Bass, and Goldies on one. If you are able to be in the area long, you may find that you will want a larger rod (maybe spey or switch) for the big rivers (feather, yuba and American), and then maybe a 2 wt for the small creeks.

Once the mountain streams open, I wear my wading boots, but usually fish in shorts, or quick dry fishing pants.

Welcome to the area, you may never leave.
:D