PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite LMB setup?

TaylerW
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
i know you can use just about any rod to fish for bass, but there are definitely rods that lend themselves better to bassin and the flies it entails at times.

My current setup:

Sage 890 Xi3
Rio Outbound Short 8wt
Ross Momentum #4

I find that the fast 8wt comes in handy very often, whether it be pulling fish out of weeds as i have to do very often, or throwing the massive flies i like to such as poledancers ect. The outbound short makes life a lot easier being that i fish ponds that dont have a ton of back casting space, and it loads the rod quick and blasts 4" long surface bugs with ease.

Lets hear your favorite setup?!

--T

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
That is a great top water LMB outfit.

The Rio OBS Coldwater floater is the most important part of it.

Most 8 weight rods will work, but not all as good as a Sage Xi3.

Anything from 8' to 9' will work.

Fly reel can be almost anything because you seldom get LMB on the reel.

__________________________________________________ ____________

**My favorite top water LMB outfit is the Sage "Bass II" outfit in the LMB size.

It is a 7'11" 4 piece rod with a weight forward Sage Bass II (330 grain) floating line.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/rods/specialty/bass-ii

GreggH
04-26-2012, 08:25 AM
GLX Cross Current's 7 & 8 and a variety of Rio OBS's. For top water, I roll a Sage LMB.

Scott V
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage largemouth rod with a dahlberg diver.

mike borba
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I use an 8wt TICR. A 6wt rod is adequate in many situations, but having a rod with a full wells grip is a definite plus when muscleing fish in tight quarters. I'm about due for a new line, so I'll check out the Rio line mentioned in other posts. As for flies, diving surface flies like dahlberg's are great. For baitfish patterns I like Puglisi patterns or Kinky Muddlers. Todd's Wiggle Minnow on a sinking line works great too. I'll bounce bottom with a rabbit strip leach. Mike

Clark
04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I fish a TFO Mini Mag 8' 6-8 weight rod with a Teton 7/8 weight reel loaded with Rio Steelhead floating line in 7 weight. I usually just tie a gurgler on the end of 6-8 feet of Maxima 1X mono and get after em!

Dabalone
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
TFO Teeney 9wt and Sage bass taper for throwing the big poppers and fishing deep into the gnarly stuff, appreciate the extra backbone when winching bigger fish out of the salad, otherwise I like my Reddington 8wt. Been having good luck with crease fly patterns along the weedlines, they give more of a random darting action with more side to side compared to standard popper patterns.

Dan LeCount
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I have an old RPLXi 7wt 3 piece I like.( I kinda wish it was a 2 piece) It has a Tibor light backcountry wide spooled with an old SA bass/pike line. Its a little bit older and not quite as en vogue as the new stuff, but that setup has caught me a lot of different species of fish; largemouths, smallmouths, carp, catfish, stripers, mackinaw, steelhead and other large trout. I fished for muskies and pike a few times with it, but still haven't landed one yet, but it could throw the flies. I dont think its some amazing rod, but its a good all rounder and gets the job done.

Truthfully were spoiled with modern rods, pretty much anything made of modern graphite has the potential to be a fish catching machine if used properly. Hell, I was using a crappy old 50$ rod I got from the sporting goods store(emergency backup) and a pflueger medalist(spooled with a shooting head old enough to be a grandfather)last time I went out and it stuck fish no problem. Did it feel great? No, but it got the job done for sure. Nowadays, we tend to overemphasize the importance of high end equipment. Its nice to spoil yourself and it feels light in hand or whatever, but it doesn't catch you the fish. If I was going to make a bass rod Id make something heavily enforced with fiberglass so it would be tough as nails with super stout graphite or boron 2/3s the way up and a super noodle tip. It would be heavy as hell and cast like crap, but it could take abuse, be sensitive, and could pull bass out of weeds. How light a rod feels and how pretty a loop it makes are things to worry about at the casting ponds, not when you're trying to catch bass. Making a rod lighter and lighter and lighter, isn't always a good thing

anyways, sorry for the rant :roll:

Im probably a few years away from turning into some retro fiberglass or bamboo bass fishing curmudgeon, and Im sorry for the people around me that have to hear this nonsense.

TaylerW
04-27-2012, 01:14 AM
id say you might just need to leave truckee for a day or two and come bassing with me. then we will talk

fishngy
04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
My two favorite setups:

Fly rod that I built, 7wt 9' Forecast Blank.
Redington Crosswater reel
Sage Smallmouth line

Other favorite:
Southbend fiberglass rod 7' 6" 6wt bought for @ $10
Pflueger reel @ $15
Orvis 6wt bass floating line Used a coupon @$25
Giggling with a large bass on the end of the line Priceless!

Love throwing my balsa wood poppers and gurglers!

Bill Avery

BillB
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
My floater is an old RPL+ 7wt. with OBS and my sinker is a Xi2 7 and, typically, a Rio Type 6. As much as I like my Xi2 that old RPL+ is about my favorite rod to cast! It's got some grit too! Charlie G put me on a very large stripe and the rod preformed admirably. I have TFO Prisms (machined) on both rods.

Charlie Gonzales
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Billy I forgot you got that girl on a 7wt! We need to fish again soon.

TaylerW
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
the topwater bite is back on after the storm......a friend of mine went out tonight and had a ton of hits with a few to hand.....

lee s.
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Ok,
We'll bite too.
LM's are totally a top-water endeaver for us......well, ALMOST totally. And we usually toss into the slopyiest poop available. So we toss MOSTLY a homemade weedless frog or baitfish immi on an old 10wt Loomis with a DT11F, WF12F, or an old level floater of undetermined or forgotten weight that we have around here. Oh yeah..... OLD Pheluger Medalist too. ;-)
.....lee s.

BillB
04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Billy I forgot you got that girl on a 7wt! We need to fish again soon.

I'll never forget that bad girl! Thanks!

Dan LeCount
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Southbend fiberglass rod 7' 6" 6wt bought for @ $10
Pflueger reel @ $15
Giggling with a large bass on the end of the line Priceless!

Bill Avery

hell

Yes

breaking out the Heddon glass + pflueger for some smallies next week I think. Water is still a little cold up here. Theyre probably a mix of pre spawn or full spawn atm. They get pretty hungry after that up here and more so as the summer progresses.

Cal
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
800 buck bone fish rods are sweet....

but I love my retro glass outfit:

Shakespeare Wonderod 8'6" 8 wt built 1965 (orig price $15, bought at estate sale for $25 new in original plastic packaging) got two of these babies.

Pflueger Medalist fly reel.

.......and the most important and expensive component of this outfit =

8 wt Rio Outbound Short floater.

Sometimes use the Tropical Short on those sticky hot July and August nights.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/brian_endlich/CarsonbassBrian2.jpg