PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for Opener?

Frank Roepke
04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Hello Fellow Anglers,

I am looking for suggestions for the opener this weekend.
Here’s what I have so far:
1) East Carson, Markleeville
2) Walker, Coleville
3) No Fork Yuba, Downieville
4) Yuba, Washington area.
Not sure how much rain will hit the Sierra this week, but I will need to keep that in mind for water clarity.

Thanks,

Frank

JasonB
04-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Both the North Yuba and the South Yuba are way high right now for fishing (currently almost 3k at goodyears bar on the North Yuba, and 2500cfs at hwy 49 on the South Yuba)... not sure on the others.
JB

DFrink
04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I won't be fishing this weekend, but next. I am in the same boat, what's fishable! Really looking forward to getting out, it's been a while. Any thoughts?

Dan

TaylerW
04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
in lieu of high flows and treacherous wading. go bassing in your local pond.....

DFrink
04-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Can't do it (although before I started fly fishing Bass fishing was my favorite). If the streams that I am going to try for aren't in shape than the float tube will be pulled form the back seat of the truck and I'll try for some stillwater action.

Dan

Scott V
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm going bass fishing. You can go fish with all those other people on a stream this opening. Have fun Frank and tell everyone hi.

TaylerW
04-24-2012, 12:24 PM
The next time I go trout fishing it will be with a mouse in Alaska. This is bass season!!

Mike O
04-24-2012, 05:42 PM
My close and local bluegill and bass spot got shut down (posted). Might go trout fishing with the kids somewhere, though.

Ben J
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I always do pretty well fishing tributaries above certain reservoirs on the opener. Some places actually fish better in higher water (if clarity holds) as new riffles are created where tributaries enter the lake... Some food for thought

atavuss
04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
West Carson is high and muddy right now, it may get better if the colder weather slows the snow melt. Not sure about the East Carson, you could call the Carson River Resort and ask Todd what he thinks, lots of planting going on there. not a stream or river but do you know about ICR?

TahoeChris
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
The east Carson is blown out also. Its at 950 today and its been pretty cold today so it should come down more but I won't start fishing it until its in the 500 cfs range. Indian creek will be a good option the lake gets double stocked just like the rivers. DFG plants the normal stockers and Alpine county chamber of commerce plants " trophy" fish in the 3-10+ range. I fished it with a buddy on my 2 man pontoon sunday best bite was 1-3 and all on the pheasant tail 8' down in 10-12 of water. Good luck this weekend.

ownfl4g
04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Is there any decent campgrounds open yet around ICR that you know of?

atavuss
04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Is there any decent campgrounds open yet around ICR that you know of?

yes, right at ICR is a decent campground with hot showers and flush toilets
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/carson_city_field/blm_programs/recreation/indian_creek.html
the weather should still be cool enough so the rattlesnakes won't be out yet.
ICR can and does get very windy.

Morgan
04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
As of last week the campground at ICR was closed. MOst campgrounds in the area dont open up until the holiday weekend. BUt w/ the early melt off we may see some open early. Call in advance. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend up in the sierras. I'll be out fishn for sure.....where...not sure yet.

atavuss
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
This link shows ICR opens the 27th. I would contact them to verify before you go.
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/info/newsroom/2012/april/blm_opening_campground.html

TahoeChris
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
If the campground at ICR isnt open try the carson river resort it's only 10 minutes from ICR. Just past markleeville.

dickwhite
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Truckee topped out at 2200cfs at Farad
E. Carson 1450CFS and rising
The "T" looked like chocolate milk below Squaw this afternoon.

The forecast for this weekend is 50-60s. Warm so expect the flows to rise as the day goes on. There is still snow

Classic Opener, look for flat water or tail waters or go ski at Squaw for their closing weekend.

Dick White
Tahoma CA

atavuss
04-26-2012, 11:57 PM
If the campground at ICR isnt open try the carson river resort it's only 10 minutes from ICR. Just past markleeville.

there is also Turtle Rock CG which is closer to ICR, also a state campground, Grover Hot Springs near Markleeville