PDA

View Full Version : Is your rod stiff?

JGB
04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
[-X

And if it is, are you nymphing or drying?

When it isn't stiff, are you drying or nymphing?

JGB

:D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Years ago the faster action was for dry flies and the slower was for wet flies.

I think the faster was so you could false cast to dry off your dry fly so it would float better.

The soft action for wet flies was so you would not break off your wet fly or wet flies as you struck the fish, but this was without indicators or pre-indicator (BI).

Today most like the faster action or faster tip for indicatory nymphing so they can get a quick hook set with all that 'stuff' on there.

* Stuff = indicator, split shot and nymphs.

JGB
04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
For non-bobicating wouldn't a stiff one be better? Quicker sets? More sensitive to "bumps"? Faster and more of a direct connection?

Limp ones for gentler dry presentation? Easier on the lighter tippet used for dries? More "Zen" -like casting?

JGB

rippinstreamers
04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
softys for light tippet whether it is nymphing or dry fly. I also like softer rods for pitching under mangroves/casting a big fly a distance that shouldn't require a large double haul. I like stiffys for wind scenarios, heavy streamers, sink tips, heavy euro nymphing.

I would agree with the stiff rod will react a little quicker when setting on non-ninjacator nymphing, but the size of the fish i am targeting and my techniques used to feel or see the strike will vary what i like to use.

mems
04-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Is my rod stiff? Pretty much every morning. I am a teacher and that is why I stand behind my podium to lecture. Now action, I like it slow and long lasting. Mems.

jbird
04-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Is my rod stiff? Pretty much every morning. I am a teacher and that is why I stand behind my podium to lecture. Now action, I like it slow and long lasting. Mems.

LOL Don!

I prefer a slower rod for nymphing. Not SLOOOOW but a softer tip. If youre using anything other than a single fly, a more open loop can be much more managable and forgiving. I also like to use big, lazy mending patterns alot while nymphing, which is easier to do with a soft tip without tugging your flies/indicator around everytime you mend.
I also like a softer tip if Im presenting a dry or wet fly to a spooky fish. I can land my fly/line more quietly with a softer tip.
I also find it easier to throw a variety of loops (including tight loops) with the soft tip, whereas its hard for me to throw a slow, open loop with a fast rod.

The times where fast rods excell for me is when Im throwing big streamers or in windy conditons.

Suffice it to say, at least 2/3 of my quiver are on the soft-tip side. If I lived in the keys I'd imagine it would be the opposite.

JGB
04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
All good stuff...mems on the other hand, ummm...yeah.

Like the loop input, didn't consider that. Makes sense.

JGB

Terry Imai
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I believe this question was a "hanging curve" ready to be hit out of the park but I guess Bill is getting a few more years on him to go the other way???