PDA

View Full Version : Outcast Super Fat Cat vs. Outcast Fat Cat

atavuss
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Anyone have any input on the super fat cat vs. the fat cat? the only difference is the super fat cat has inflatable back and seat bottom vs. foam for the fat cat? I see more than a few people call these the "cadillac" of float tubes..........must be a reason for that. I am looking for comfort (I am 6'3" and 205 lbs.) and stability.
I will be using the float tube to fish smaller lakes that I have to walk to where I can't get my Hobie Pro Angler into.

Grampa Spey
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
There are a couple of 30 something fly fishers in the Napa river using the OSG Commander.

The first time I saw one was the Friday after Thanksgiving and a young man was in one of the marinas fishing for stripers. He used his oars, a T Bar Kayak oar, and his fins to manuever around quietly.

He did better than the rest of us. He started to leave as we were heading north. He paddled to the mouth of the marina, grounded the Commander, stood up and walked to shore. He stepped out and started walking the quarter mile north to a little parking area. He didn't deflate it as he took it to his pickup and tossed in on the bed, secured it with a little line, drove north and got out and launched his craft and went into another marina harbor.

It is a real pia to launch even my little Freedom Hawk where he launched and returned.

For normal people, your PA, my Pathfinder or Hobie Oasis would be probably impossible to get to and from the remote and bushy launch areas. Most of us would be too tired after getting to the launch area to launch a yak.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/?id=43

At 35lbs the OSG Commander is lightweight and ideal for hard to access put-ins and adventure travel. The overall design includes the best features of a kayak and a rowboat which make it easy to maneuver on both still and moving water. The open-floor cockpit makes fin kicking an option so the angler can fish and guide the boat at the same time. The open floor also provides an easy way to stand up and fish in shallow water without the need to climb in and out of the boat. Key features include adjustable foot rests, cargo loops to secure gear, and ample cargo space behind the adjustable kayak style seat. The OSG Commander is constructed with a durable PVC skin to protect the urethane bladders. The dual layer design also creates a stiff hull so the boat won’t flex when operating at full pressure. The seams are Thermo welded for stronger more consistent seems that won’t fail over time. The continuous curve design eliminates seems on the bottom of the boat. The inflated size is 10’ long by 46” wide which makes this boat stable in rapids yet long enough to have superior tracking ability on calm water.

The OSG Commander is for you if:

- You need a lightweight boat that is easy to handle with just one person

- You are planning some travel

- You like to fish from a kayak, but don't want to mess with a paddle.*

*Actually the lad, we saw, did very well with his shortened T bar kayak paddle.

**I would not want to be trying to beat a strong wind with one of these. The tide had minimal impact on the guy we saw.

Anyone have any input on the super fat cat vs. the fat cat? the only difference is the super fat cat has inflatable back and seat bottom vs. foam for the fat cat? I see more than a few people call these the "cadillac" of float tubes..........must be a reason for that. I am looking for comfort (I am 6'3" and 205 lbs.) and stability.
I will be using the float tube to fish smaller lakes that I have to walk to where I can't get my Hobie Pro Angler into.

atavuss
04-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I am looking for something I can pack in three miles to a small lake where big brookies abound, there is also another lake that is 1/4 mile from a parking area. The fat cats at around 12 pounds probably won't kill me to pack them in. I will have to figure out how to pack in waders, wader boots, etc., etc. There is no motorized access allowed on the lake that is three miles in, the lake that is 1/4 mile in is on a single track trail, I could use my Rokon motorcycle with a single wheel trailer but not sure if there is motorized access allowed in that area.

Jeff C.
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I have a Super Fat Cat and wouldn't recommend it for hiking into a lake. I did that once! Three mile hike with 2000 ft. vertical gain. With all the gear, fins, pump, etc., it felt like my back pack weighed 50 lbs. Never again! The only carrying that 'toon is going to get from my car to the water 50 ft. away.

trouterfan1
04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I have the superfat cat and like it alot. I'm 6'4 250 and it floats me fine. I think the super fatcat is better for packing into that big brookie lake because the seat and backrest deflates so you can roll it up and put in a big backpack or strap it to the rear basket of your mtn bike and ride! I have backpack straps for it as well and it really doesn't fatigue me much on long hikes up to 3 mi.

JAWallace
04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I would only consider the SFC for capacity reasons. A few years ago one of our larger fishing friends flipped his forward by leaning over too far. We barely got him out in time. He and his gear were right at the maximum capacity. The SFC isn't much more money and as stated has the inflatable seats for easier packing. Some feel those seats are more comfortable.

I also agree it's not fun packing even that light craft very far. It's still somewhat cumbersome, but probably the best option given the proposed uses of the OP.

Another, if you can find one, is a JW Outfitters Kingfisher pontoon. They are not safe as sold--you have to add some cam straps as the pontoons are only held by Velcro straps--but they are much easier to pack than a SFC and about the same weight. They come up used for around $100 on occasion.

DFrink
04-23-2012, 06:51 AM
I have a super FC, and have used it for packing. I really don't think it was that heavy (entire pack was under 35lbs, and when I back pack for overniters my pack is usually much heavier than that), but it is pretty bulky. That being said it's probably a lot less bulky than if I had the foam seats. One thing to consider is you will need a pretty large pack to roll and stuff that thing into. I have an old external frame pack that I use just for this purpose (the pack itself is all one main chamber rather than the upper and lower storage compartments you see a lot) and this is a must since if the main compartment was divided into 2 I wouldn't be able to fit the boat into it. Also if you don't have one yet, I would purchase a small pump as this will save you some space as well. Scott V uses his SFC for pack in fishing (probably more than I have) you may shoot him a message and get his input.

Dan

SHigSpeed
04-23-2012, 07:44 AM
For packing, the best IMHO commercial option is the Creek Company ODC420 Ultralight. Similar dimensions to the SFC and weighs in at around 8 lbs.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16305&cat=249&page=1

Pretty sharp in red too!

That said, some entry level round tubes are lighter and pack smaller. Of course you could get lucky and find a Del Canty Lunker Hunter tube at 3 lbs or make your own like I am and make your own 2 lb unit. Okay, so I have yet to complete and weigh it, but that's the goal at least. ;)

_SHig

SHigSpeed
04-23-2012, 07:45 AM
BTW, to answer the OP, go for the SFC if those are your choices. It packs way smaller, more comfortable, and floats higher. Well worth the extra $80 or so.

_SHig

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Some of our staff use the 'Super Cat' which is a light weight folding back packable pontoon boat.

They weigh 13# and have built in back pack staps.

They don't have bladders, they are made like a raft out of a very powerful laminant like a Zodic or Avon raft.

We have them at our shop.....

This is what Denny Rickards uses.

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/supercat.asp

JAWallace
04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
The two people that I know that have the Super Cat love them. I always wondered about the blunt stern on the 'toons--if they provide too much resistance. These people haven't complained.

As an older guy, I cannot emphasize enough what a few extra pounds and bulk means. When I bought my 28lb. Renegade, several people urged me to bump up to the Rampage--only 10 more lbs. Like everyone, I have a lot more than 28 lbs to shoulder once we add the tackle, gear, oars, water, fins, etc. and I'm at my reasonable limit with weight and bulk now. With the larger 'toon I'd have to use wheels about half the time.

Spend the money if this is going to be your primary fishing craft. Honestly, although I bought my SFC from Bill about 15 years ago and still have it, I've never been a big fan. Other than ease of entry I liked my old donut better. I don't find the SFC to be all that comfortable in comparison to the Trouttraps tube or my ultralight JW Outfitters pontoon which was similar to the Super Cat in size and weight.

Super Fat Cat 12# $420
Super Cat 18# $585
Scadden Escape 22# $700

The Escape can also be used for moderate rivers, and one would imagine the Super Cat could be as well.