PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Flows on the Rise

Andris
04-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I was thinking about wading the upper section of the Lower Sac and noticed the flows rose from 3,200 to 4,500 over the last couple of days.

chixnribs
04-19-2012, 01:22 PM
How long, timewise, are the different floats on the LSac? Posse to Bonne, Bonne to Anderson, Anderson to Balls?

atavuss
04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Andris,
I did a guided float trip on the Lower Sac from just above the Sun Dial bridge to a take out point 5 or 6 miles downstream on Wednesday (did not notice what the name of it was but it was near I-5). The water is gin clear and the flow has made the water level rise only inches. fishing was very good, had several pockets that produced very well. my first three casts produced three hits at the start of the day. Only saw a few people wading but that might have been because it was a weekday. Used nymphs all day, tried dries in a couple of spots where fish were rising but no takers.

joshfish
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
timewise on the floats depends. if you just float and dont backrow to fish through holes it will obviously take less time. with my pontoon boat the last time i did the posse to bonnyview float i did it in about 4 hours only stopping if i had to rerig. wich was a few times. i can usually do the bonnyview to anderson in 6 hours but i stop more on that float. it also depends on flows.

Craig Nielsen
04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Andris:
Flows (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv/?site_no=11370500&agency_cd=USGS) are now @ 6,000 cfs out of Keswick. The difference between the number of places you can easily walk and wade is not great between 4500 & 6,000 cfs but drops off significantly as flows reach up towards 8,000 and above.
If you plan to wade you might want to schedule a trip soon as Shasta Lake is nearly full and agricultural demand will be increasing soon, both usually translate into higher flows. Here is the link to scheduled releases (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryRES?KES) which will hopefully help you time your trip.
Feel free to ring for details.

Andris
04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks alot, guys. I appreciate the info and will report if I end up going. -Rob