PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Bass Near Tahoe

schwatk
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
My wife and I are novice fly fishers from San Diego. We go up to our timeshare in South Lake Tahoe every year in October. I was wondering if there were any smallmouth bass rivers/streams/creeks within a couple of hours drive from South Lake Tahoe. I've fly fished for them in the creeks of western Pennsylvania 3 times. And they were a blast. I would LOVE to find a place out here in Cali that I could try for them. I know Tahoe is prime trout country. But I would really like to learn some smallie areas too.

This is only my 2nd post. Sorry to say I don't have much to post about. So far I've only been interested in fly fishing rivesr/streams/creeks. Which we don't have down here in San Diego. And I only get that chance when I'm up in Tahoe. But I will be retiring in the next year and plan to start fly fishing the bays and surf down here. Hopefully I'll have something to report in the future.

Take care!

Joe

walthers
04-18-2012, 09:19 AM
One place you can try is Jenkinson Lake. Off of highway 50, take the Sly Park exit and the lake is a few miles off the highway. They have trout and bass in there, you can take boats but I usually just bring my float tube. Hope this helps.

Joe Mateas
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
There's a population of them in the Keys, and the rest of the lake as well... Although I've never fished for them there I would like to try this summer on one of my trips up that way. There's bluegill crappie and largemouth(or spots) in the keys too..... Check out this post on another board from last year, there's some insight as to where you may find them.
http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1313793149

It also looks like Stampede Reservoir holds a decent pop. of SMB, maybe better bet than Tahoe.

bigfly
04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Affirmative on the Tahoe Keys.
Not a good thing....but they are in there.
Stampeed has SMB in the 6-7 lb class.
And growing.........Were talking an 8wt fish....
They will eat dries, poppers, tidbits under an indy, and will fall for big streamers on a full sink line twitched behind a boat too..
We have been tossing around the idea of a tourney/fish fry.
Snow-melt Bass are tasty.

Jim