PDA

View Full Version : What life vest is best for the drift boat?

lynnwhite44
04-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been wanting to buy a new life vest for the drift boat and was wondering what life vest the other rowers on this forum like to use. Normally I don't wear one on class I or II but last year I drifted from Mac's to the mouth and did not like the old vest I was wearing on the more difficult rapids.

Thanks

Dave Neal
04-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Lynn, Patagonia made (still makes?) a nice looking PFD/Fishing Vest. Kiene's might carry it? I've never worn one but it might be worth looking into. Pat usually makes pretty good, well thought out stuff...

pgw
04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Any auto inflate, I have a Sterns and a Cabelas (both have been worn on the Deschutes)...Mustang makes the best.

Paul

huntindog
04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
i am a huge fan of my extrasport white water style vest. It is made to be comfortable and you can move around in it without hardly noticing it is on. most importantly...if you end up needing it it is easy to swim in. I do not like the inflatables because they are not easy to do much more than float in...if you end up in the drink, in an emergency, in white water or rapids...i want to have some mobility. (which reminds me....after about 10 years my vest is ripped...need to do some shopping)

I formally guided whitwater trips...I have a huge respect for the force of the river...i have been tipped over, recirculated and spit out...it aint fun...and those "little rivers" without very obvious threats can be pretty darn sneaky...

The whitewater industry has put a bunch of time and effort into making comfortable, but very functional gear...

here is one with the same mobility and function required by kayakers...but with some fishing accessories...
http://www.outdoorplay.com/Stohlquist-Fisherman-Kayak-PFD-Lifejacket?sc=7&category=71232

jjjewett
04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I HIGHLY recommend getting a foam pfd, as opposed to an auto-inflate one.
The Stohlquist and the Lotus Patagonia are great.

The auto-inflate ones can rip off of your body very easily in moving water.
bad idea jeans.

shawn kempkes
04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
i agree with huntingdog extrasport high float or the ut 3. That way you dont have to get multiple sizes.

http://store.extrasport.com/products/462130/Universal_HiFloat

Jet
04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Joey and I both have white water vests from REI. They have big selection but the good ones are not cheap. We picked different styles but I can't recall the brand or models. Not sure if the 20% coupons they sent out for members are still good.

Jet

huntindog
04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
i agree with huntingdog extrasport high float or the ut 3. That way you dont have to get multiple sizes.

http://store.extrasport.com/products/462130/Universal_HiFloat

plus it has a good buckle system that i can use to strap my glock to...:D oh wait..that subject was in a different thread...

Magic
04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I have the Patagonia std foam PFD vest. Also, Sterns and Mustang auto inflatables. I recommend the auto inflatables since you won't even know its on while fishing. If you are hiking with pack or vest it can easily be worn. I think you will wear it more often if it is comfortable to wear.
~Magic

lynnwhite44
04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Good one huntingdog. I'm sure I can attach some pepper spray somehow.

I think I will get a foam vest because I want it for class III rapids.

I used an old one last summer and it did not fit right. My stomach kept getting in the way of my oars. I may have to work on the re-positioning the oar locks and/or the seat.

Perhaps I could do something to lose the beer belly... or not.

JasonB
04-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Used to do a lot of rowing drift boats (and rafts) when I was a kid. I agree about getting a regular solid pfd, and NOT and inflatable type which are not really made for whitewater river applications but lakes. Fit is the number one issue really, so I would go to a kayaking shop and try a bunch on. Kayakers (whitewater kayakers especially) have a big priority on range of motion and thus tend to be very picky about that in their pfd choices. A good shop will have a wide range to actually try on and feel how well they fit for you and what kind of range of motion they offer.

A lot of the whitewater rafting type pfds tend to be pretty bulky, and not the most comfortable to actually work/play in. The extrasport hi-float is probably way more than you need, and you'd probably be more comfortable in one of their more low profile type pfds. REI has a very mediocre selection, some ok stuff but not the widest selection of the really good ones. For any whitewater situations you should really consider the term "swim vest" when assessing any pfd; as that's more appropriate for what you will want from it, plus that will help ensure that you have a vest that is comfortable to row and cast while wearing. Don't bother getting a "rescue" type pfd, the extra features and $$$ aren't very applicable to what you're looking at.
JB

atavuss
04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
it is strange that the last two times I did a drift boat trip on the Lower Sac I was the only one on the water wearing a PFD.......anyway, I just wear my kayak fishing vest it is a Stohlquist fishing PFD. Very comfortable to wear all day.
http://www.stohlquist.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=64

crashq
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
The auto-inflate ones can rip off of your body very easily in moving water.
bad idea jeans.

There is a lot of mythology involved with the auto-inflate vests. They are sturdy and will not rip-off your body. There are many levels of these vests including off-shore racing versions that come with harnesses designed to tether the wearer to offshore racing yachts. Mine is a step down, but still has the 3" wide heavy duty nylon webbing harness minus the stainless steel attach ring. They are every bit as sturdy as my foam vests, which are designed for 55mph impacts. The auto-inflate versions are also used on many offshore oil rigs, including those in the North Sea.

Many are also worn by rescue boat crews. Please don't post second-hand information and rumors. It doesn't help anyone.

bubzilla
05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
There is a lot of mythology involved with the auto-inflate vests. They are sturdy and will not rip-off your body. There are many levels of these vests including off-shore racing versions that come with harnesses designed to tether the wearer to offshore racing yachts. Mine is a step down, but still has the 3" wide heavy duty nylon webbing harness minus the stainless steel attach ring. They are every bit as sturdy as my foam vests, which are designed for 55mph impacts. The auto-inflate versions are also used on many offshore oil rigs, including those in the North Sea.

Many are also worn by rescue boat crews. Please don't post second-hand information and rumors. It doesn't help anyone.

I manage risk for a living, so relying on what manufacturers say about the safe and proper use of their products and what is generally considered proper use within the safety standards of the industry in question is important to me.

Straight from the Stearns website:

"Inflatables are not approved for white water activities."

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/faq.aspx#faq_5

What do the basic boating safety classes offerred in many states have to say on the issue?

"Although inflatable PFDs are considered one of the most comfortable PFDs to wear when it's hot, inflatable PFDs require regular maintenance and are not recommended for children and young adults under the age of 16, or for individuals who can't swim. Inflatable PFDs are not for use when water impact is expected, such as when waterskiing, riding personal watercraft, or whitewater paddling."

I have inflatable PFDs. They're great for days I use my float tube, or when the wife and I take the canoe up to the lake. But they have absolutely no place whatsoever in my drift boat--particularly not on rives like the Deschutes where being in a true emergency is a very real possibility on every trip.

In fairness, having been in an accident in a drift boat in which I had to navigate a rapid--just me and my PFD--and then end up forced to hang on awaiting assistance for quite a while mid-river probably did as much or more to make me realize the folly of attempting to rely on an inflatable PFD in fast moving water than the explicit warning by the manufacturer of my PFD not to use it for that. But however the lesson was learned, I am glad I know. If there is a whitewater specific inflatable that I am not aware of, I would be happy to eat my words . The ones most commonly available, however, are not intended for that purpose, nor do I believe they are a good choice from a safety standpoint.

To answer the original question, frankly the Type I vests employed by commercial rafting companies are "best"--if "best means safest--but they are not comfortable. The advice regarding many of the other commercially available vests has been good. The advice warning against inflatables has been spot on.