PDA

View Full Version : Normal year in Nor Cal for trout in streams.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I think that on average June is a big month for trout fishing up in the mountain streams.

This year with lower flows we will have some streams warming up and turning on in May.

Then there are some colder streams that don't really get good till July.

Each drainage has its own timing or personality. I think there is a 4 to 6 week window in the spring/summer when a particular stream "does its thing" and the fish are easier to catch on flies, particularly dry flies at some time of the day.

Before this 4 to 6 week window the water is too high and too cold and the fish are not really feeding that aggressively.

After that 4 to 6 week "sweet spot" the stream is low and clear and most of the big aquatic insects have already hatched. Fishing in the mid-summer doldrums (August) is just a little tough, especially for the new comer to fly fishing.

Then in the fall most streams turn on again with October being the big deal....

Call, email us or come by and we can talk about the timing of any particular stream.

Our message board is another place to ask questions and get good answers.

Getting a referral for a good fly fishing guide on one of our blue ribbon trout streams is good insurance that you will have some luck and learn some new modern techniques.

Terry Thomas
04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Checked out Fall over the weekend. This is the lowest that I have ever seen it in over 30 years and there is almost zero weed growth. Looked at Spring Creek and it is super low as well. There is a sink hole on the dam on the fore bay leading down to Hat one power house. They have diverted all the flow behind the post office into the natural stream channel going down into Baum. I wouldn't expect the run next to the Cassel Campground to be "watered" again until late Spring or early Summer.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Terry....

__________________________________________________ __________________

Terry is a retired school teach who works at our fly shop.

Terry manages our fly selection because he has a tremendious knowledge of the flies and hatches in Nor Cal.

He spent the last 25 years fishing every summer around Burney, CA with a travel trailer in an RV park north of there.

If you want to know anything about the fly fishing on Fall River, Hat Creek, Baum Lake or any other fishery near Burney well Terry is your man.

Terry also manages the famous "Digger Creek" private fly fishing property east of Red Bluff, CA.

http://www.diggercreekranch.com/