PDA

View Full Version : Finally! First two steelhead on the spey

Steelie-Stalker
04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, after 3ish years it finally came together! On a trip to visit the school I'll spend the next 4 years of my life at, I spent a few days with the spey rod on a few different steelhead rivers, and finally landed my first 2 fish on the swing!

Needless to say it solidified my college choice!

and by the way....that Hardy was LOUDDD!

Terry Thomas
04-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice job. That Hardy was just happy to have a little exercise!

Slice
04-13-2012, 08:16 PM
What school??? Duck, Beaver? Im so jelous right now, college is a blast. Zero-point-zero. Live it up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Congratualtions SS.......thanks for posting too.

Nice blog.

Steelie-Stalker
04-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks to you bill for convincing me on that reel over a disc drag. Definitely worth it!

I should try harder to keep up on the blog...

shawn kempkes
04-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Its time to take all of you glo bugs thingamabobbers and all your other nyphing stuff and burn it and never buy anymore. LOL

thepeacockspecial
04-14-2012, 07:21 AM
congrats.

i used to have a 4.0 gpa until i picked up a fly rod.

this fly fishing thing is a big deal. :p

Mark Kranhold
04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Congrats steelie stalker. That will be burned in your memory for some time.. Probably longer than your college years. I still remember my first steelhead on the fly.. Seamed like yesterday. Nice rod, what ACR is that? Is Garret headin north for college too. Lucky dog, enjoy and good luck.

tallguy
04-14-2012, 08:51 AM
If you don't have some unique college years experiences burned into your memory for far longer than your first couple of steelies on the swung fly (as cool as that is), let me tell you that you are doing/did college wrong..

EricO
04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
The tail on that one fish is Ginormous!!

Nice fish man.

EO

aaron
04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
college is a blast. Zero-point-zero. Live it up.
THis, it's the craziest fun time you'll have in life. Enjoy it and take your time. Nothing wrong with being a super senior!
Oh and nice fish!

STEELIES/26c3
04-14-2012, 10:50 PM
HEY RYDER~:)

Thanks for thinking of me and calling with an OTW report... now I get to see what that quiver in your phone voice was all about...

DAMN, that's awesome!!

I know I've said it before... one of these days you'll be teaching me how to catch them damn things~;)

Just remember to keep balance in your life... 60% steelheading and chasing girls and 40% academics...

Brother Mark

EricO
04-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Btw Steelie.....I think you're gonna love Humboldt State Univ.

;)

EO

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-15-2012, 09:12 AM
After 4-5 years at Humbolt State most are going to chase Steelhead for the rest of their lives.

I know a lot of folks who went there........they all enjoyed that part of California.

pvsprme
04-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Wow! Nice!
I gotta say this, don't take it wrong: You're just going off to college & have a Hardy AND a CND?
F-me! You're way ahead of where I was; a Fenwick FF857 & a Pflueger Supreme.

Ned Morris
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
for Undergrad.... then just think you could go to OSU or UW for Grad school! Don't give in to corporate America like I did. Live your dream and everything else takes care of itself career wise. 4 years of UO and I made academic pro 2nd quarter in "A 1.6, Four C's and an F!" Got 90 days of Steelhead fishing in that Winter of 92/93' on Smith (OR) and Siuslaw and Alsea. I also recall filled 2 Steelhead Cards. A feat Never to be repeated. Have fun. Best time of your life and live it!

Well, after 3ish years it finally came together! On a trip to visit the school I'll spend the next 4 years of my life at, I spent a few days with the spey rod on a few different steelhead rivers, and finally landed my first 2 fish on the swing!

Needless to say it solidified my college choice!

and by the way....that Hardy was LOUDDD!

aaron
04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Did a Duck really just recommend OSU and UDub for grad school? What's this world coming too!?

Ned Morris
04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
OSU is in top 5 in US and a no brainer. Many of my friends and co-workers are Pac-10 (or I guess 12 now) alumni and have either the Cal BS and the Stanford MBA or UCLA BS and the USC MBA etc..,- Now think for a minute..... what colors do you think they wear when they go to a football game? Don't read too much into the civil war from an academic position. It's about the piece of sheepskin and loyalties are always with undergrad school. I hate the beavs but I almost went there for Grad School and didn't think a thing of it.

Ben J
04-16-2012, 08:15 PM
My steelhead obsession at HSU has caused me 1-2 extra semesters here in Arcata (Hard to be exact!)... Be careful, It's not just the weed and girls that can get you behind, the chromers can too!!!

Steelie-Stalker
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
No Humboldt State or Oregon or Oregon State for me.

It was a tough decision for me...but I passed on Cal Berkeley to pick Seattle University for the next four years as a Finance Major/ Economics Minor. I'm super pumped!!!

By the way...keep an eye out in the fall for a Washington chapter of Flies for Fins.
(In case you're unaware of F4F...its a really awesome fundraiser April Vokey has put on in BC www.flies4fins.com) I've been in contact with her for the past year, and this fall should be putting together a Seattle U club that will act as a United States/North West chapter, with the funds most likely going Western Rivers Conservancy on a project like the Hoh River or the Elwha.

Anyways...I'm sure I'll talk to Bill about posting something formal when it gets online...but I'd really appreciate people taking a look once it gets up.

-Ryder

Ned Morris
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I hope you enjoy your 4 years and fish as much as humanly possible during your undergrad years. Like I said before live it up! You will go from fishing hundreds of days a year to fishing mere hours annually once you step into the real world at it gets worse once you get married and have kids of your own. If you are interested in an internship so you can get a dose of what you can expect look me up on linkedin. I'm in Technology Finance.