PDA

View Full Version : Fishing inside squaw valley.....

mark
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Anyone fish much in the actual squaw valley. I have fished tons outside of it, on the truckee and surrounding spots but am wondering about inside. Looks like the main options would be squaw creek and some stocked ponds? Anyone fish the creek much, i generally tend to be a fan of more moving water. Have always wondered about the creek though as I have driven by it many times. Looks like typical small water with a meadow section.

Any info is appreciated, PM is fine too.

thanks all!

berryessie
04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Apparently back when fishing was great, Squaw Creek was a good little Spring Creek. At times I believe some bigger fish will move in during the run off but it would be very hard to get in there and find fish. I have heard higher up there are some smaller fish. Those stocked ponds are private for the Fly Fishing School at the Resort at Squaw Creek. To fish them you must sign up for a class.

Ralph
04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
We lived in Squaw in the early 70's when fishing was amazing. Deep undercuts, big root wads, clean gravel, and excellent spawning for Truckee River fish. The development of the Shirley Canyon ski run filled the creek with silt and and pretty much ruined the fishery. The Resort at Squaw with their golf course put the nail in the coffin for what remained. That they have replaced a public wild trout fishery, with golf course water hazards planted with hatchery fish and an on-site fly fishing pro is an irony not lost on any of the locals.

mark
04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
an on-site fly fishing pro is an irony not lost on any of the locals.

I had no idea of the degradation, the above quote is a definite thought to contemplate. Definitely see what you are saying.

I will look elsewhere.

thanks guys!

YEM
04-22-2012, 09:13 AM
The Resort at Squaw with their golf course put the nail in the coffin for what remained.

Yeah, and the golf course was advertised as environmentally-friendly.