PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried the Poly/Versi leaders yet?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
You can add these light weight affordable sinkingleaders to your floating fly line to get down in the day time. It is the flexable inexpensive sinktip.

This could be for trout, Shad or Steelhead.....

They come in 5', 10' and 15' in lots of different sinkrates.

We don't sell as many extra spools and sinktip lines as we use to and I think part of it is these new Poly/Versi leaders.

Local veteran steelheader Charlie Gonzales like the 10' Poly leader by Airflo in the "Fast" sinkrate for half-pounders in the river.

They have a loop on one end and a tippet on the other.

You just add a few feet (2'-4') of level tippet to the end of them.

Half-pounders are in the valley rivers now and Shad are on their way soon...

They are only 10 to 15 dollars...

DFrink
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I have heard of these, always thought it was a spey thing? I looked into them, looks like they would work with a single hand rod just fine? Do they effect casting much (from the weight)? I just bought a type IV sink tip line, maybe I should have gone this route? I'm interested.

Dan

Kyle C.
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I use these for swinging steelhead flies on the American because I just have a floating 7 weight line and it is easy to attach them to the front of the fly line. I like the way they cast a lot, although, I have never cast a sink tip line so I cannot compare them to that.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I think they would work on a WF5F but a 6 or 7 weight would probably be even better.

Come into the shop or call so we can get you hooked up with one.

Grampa Spey
04-14-2012, 08:59 AM
If your goal is go deep in our changing flow rivers, buy yourself a set of Rio's MOWs for your Skagit/Scandi heads. My T11 package works on my ZA7110, ZA7136, DeathStar and Meises 5/6 and 9/10 Switch rods. Now instead of carrying a couple of Spey Leader Packs, other polys and other sinking tips. I just pack/carry my T11 MOW set.

For top water use, I use the Rio 15' Floating Poly Spey or the Airflo Spey PolyLeader, 14-feet long Floating Poly. If there is wind and I don't need a delicate landing, the Rio 15' Spey floater works. If the wind is below 8-10 mph, and I want a more delicate landing the AirFlo is great.

For my lighter rods when I need to get the fly down a little I use Rio's 7' 1.5 ips poly leader. I use this leader so much in the late spring, summer and early fall, I buy several at a time. This leader works well with the Rio AFS heads for my 5120, ZA 6126 and ZA7136 and all of my switch rods.

Determining the right amount of tippet to use was a little challenging. Steve Godshal told me to start out with 3-4' of tippet and attach the fly and try some casts. If it isn't looping or working, shorten or lengthen the tippet. Steve said there was no magical formula re tippet length. You had to determine the length based on the flies, water flows and wind.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
If your goal is go deep in our changing flow rivers, buy yourself a set of Rio's MOWs for your Skagit/Scandi heads. My T11 package works on my ZA7110, ZA7136, DeathStar and Meises 5/6 and 9/10 Switch rods. Now instead of carrying a couple of Spey Leader Packs, other polys and other sinking tips. I just pack/carry my T11 MOW set.

For top water use, I use the Rio 15' Floating Poly Spey or the Airflo Spey PolyLeader, 14-feet long Floating Poly. If there is wind and I don't need a delicate landing, the Rio 15' Spey floater works. If the wind is below 8-10 mph, and I want a more delicate landing the AirFlo is great.

For my lighter rods when I need to get the fly down a little I use Rio's 7' 1.5 ips poly leader. I use this leader so much in the late spring, summer and early fall, I buy several at a time. This leader works well with the Rio AFS heads for my 5120, ZA 6126 and ZA7136 and all of my switch rods.

Determining the right amount of tippet to use was a little challenging. Steve Godshal told me to start out with 3-4' of tippet and attach the fly and try some casts. If it isn't looping or working, shorten or lengthen the tippet. Steve said there was no magical formula re tippet length. You had to determine the length based on the flies, water flows and wind.

Good info GS

...but I meant to try to get to the single handed fly fishers so more of them can use the Poly/Versi leaders on their single hand floating lines.

Joe Mateas
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I use them on my SH rods, I realy like the 15' intermediate for swinging.

Charlie Gonzales
04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Love the poly leaders. Used them out at Seco today and they did the trick.

tacocat
04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I love polyleaders I use them and MOW tips on my Sage bass rod in conjuction when I fish lightweight or floating flies. It is extremely effective for fishing Dahlberg Divers deep. It cast pretty nice too.