PDA

View Full Version : Wader storage question

mike borba
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I've always stored my waders indoors in a closet. Hanging them up elininates the problem of leaks due to creases. I do this indoors because I assume they will last longer being sheltered from heat and cold. My waders do last a long time. How do you store your waders? I'm wondering if storing them indoors is overkill. After wearing waders for 40 years I'm just getting around to thinking about this. Mike

amoeba
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
me too (always indoors, hung).

Ralph
04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
We have dozens of waders that get folded in September, stored through the winter in the garage, then used the following April. Been doing this for at least 20 years and have never had a problem with leaks developing at the folds. Back in the day of canvas or neoprene, yes, there would have been issues.

I learned the hard way to NEVER store waders and dry suits in a utility room full of electric motors. Elastic, latex and many rubbery products break down in the presence of ozone which is produced by the motors.

pgw
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
For years, I store my (completely) dried waders folded on a garage shelf...much like they were in the box from the factory, stored on wharehouse shelves for who knows how long, and stacked in the stockroom of retail stores until they were sold...no leaks on folds or seams...leaks from compressed neopreme feet, yes, pin hole leaks from fences and berry bushes, yes...identified with alcohol and repaired with Aquaseal (or similar stuff).

Still rotating 2 pair of Patagonia waders with a pair of Simms...retired a pair of Dan Bailey's last year after 10 years (and they were stored stuffed in a nylon sack).

Paul

Larry S
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
One little trick that we use after fishing is to turn the waders inside out. This speeds up
the drying of the sweaty insides. Usually after 10-15 minutes, the drying is
completed.
Best,
Larry S

BillB
04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I always hang my dry waders in a inside closet. My garage can easily get in excess of 100 degrees most every day in summer. May not be better but I feel better about it. Probably would never happen to waders but those plastics from Christmas in my storage attic take a real beating over the summer.

JGB
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
My waders generally last about 6 +/- yrs. I patch them as I go, but they have never been retired because of leaky folds. Just make sure they are dry inside and out before putting them away.

I suppose hanging them will help, but I doubt it is in any measurable way.

If I'm worried about storage ruining my waders I haven't been fishing enough!

JGB

Mike O
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I roll mine and store them...no problems

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I think in this hot Sacramento Valley you need to keep you waders, rain coats, fly lines and leader/tippet material in the house, especially in the summer.

I think that light and heat kills those things...

Scott V
04-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I keep my waders in the bag they came in. And I keep them in my trunk, I like to have my fishing gear with me all the time for those occasions when you pass a piece of water and want to fish it.

bonneville54
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I keep my waders in the bag they came in. And I keep them in my trunk, I like to have my fishing gear with me all the time for those occasions when you pass a piece of water and want to fish it.

I knew I wasn't the only one....waders, boots, couple of rods, reels and flies always on hand.

I say I'm prepared, my wife says I'm too lazy to actually clean the truck (and she may be right).

Sammy
04-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I look forward to the day where I keep a rod and waders in my trunk in case I pass by a piece of water I want to fish. For now, it's planning a trip once a month and watching youtube videos about fishing