PDA

View Full Version : Largest Switch rod selection anywhere?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Seriously, we might have the largest selection of Switch rods in the world right now.

I think it is because they work well in Nor Cal for single hand casting with indicators for trout and steelhead plus they work well as Ultra Lite Spey rods as well.

We use Switch rods year round here too. For Steelhead, trout, Shad and Stripers......depending on the size of the Switch rod.

Our staff use the Switch rods as Ultra Lite Spey rods....they are so light.

Call, or come by 7 days a week or take a look at them on our Online Spey Shop.

http://speyshop.kiene.com/switchrods.aspx

We also have the best selction of lines for Swtich rods...........

DFrink
04-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Funny you mention this. I have been reading on switch and spey rod setupts for the last few days (think a switch rod would be best for me). I think I am going to bite the bullet before this fall. I just need to figure out what setup would work for my type of fishing. I will be stopping in the the next month or two for some one on one.

Dan

shawn kempkes
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
not a switch rod but. Check out the Beulah platinum 11' 7' 5 wt spey that is a great rod that could be used anywhere in CA.

Grampa Spey
04-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Switch rods are great for Shad.

Seldom do you need to cast long casts in our Shad areas. Often, we have a lot of brush/trees behind us. That eliminates the need/use of long two handed rods.

Get Bill's people to fit you with a good switch rod for Shad, a Skagit line and a set of MOW tips. Then, take a lesson with Jeff or one of Bill' talented people.

Two handed rods are good for shad, stripers, bass, trout, half pounders as well as Steelhead.

Funny you mention this. I have been reading on switch and spey rod setupts for the last few days (think a switch rod would be best for me). I think I am going to bite the bullet before this fall. I just need to figure out what setup would work for my type of fishing. I will be stopping in the the next month or two for some one on one.

Dan

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
not a switch rod but. Check out the Beulah platinum 11' 7' 5 wt spey that is a great rod that could be used anywhere in CA.

That is about as close to a Switch rod that a light Spey rod can be....it is a very light Spey rod that is really wonderful for trout on larger streams swinging streamers or softhackles.

Also great for light Steelheading with small to medium size flies and fish.

Good call Shawn.....

bigfly
04-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I've found it impossible to fully relate all the good stuff about switch rods.
Now I just put one in a client's hand. The rods sell themselves.
Personally, after 37 years at this stuff, it was like being a born-again flyfisher.
Far more game on the water. Easier on the body too.
More than once I've gone from swinging streamers, or Indy nymphing, to drifting a dry to a fatty on the other side of the Truckee.
Sure the casts can amaze, but the mends are what catch more fish. Surgical reach.
And the first time you pull on a big fish, a smile will appear. It is a two sided conversation.
My home water favorite is the Sage Z-Axis 6wt switch.
The Beulah 5/6wt switch works here.
The 6wt platinum (A gun) is also a great size rod for the T.
I like to field a quiver for folks on the water.
Let them decide which rod fits them.
Since most casts are water anchored, a wet test is best.
Several clients tested last year, and came back with one this year.
Go see Bill about one.......

Jim