PDA

View Full Version : Props to Scott Freeman

JasonB
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Just wanted to share a small story that highlights what I think can happen when we choose to give just a tiny bit of good to others (and to give props for the good deed):

About a week or so ago my wife and I had a fairly unpleasant and negative experience on the East Walker river. Without going into all the details lets just say it was pretty packed, and we had an encounter with one very lame guy. It got to the point where I was starting to think more and more about how pissed I was at his rudeness and less and less about my presentations. After a bit some sense and sanity hit me and I just left in search of new water.

The next piece of water I came across was not occupied, but on second glance I noticed that there was someone not too far upriver who was rigging up. Turned out to be one Scott Freeman, a guide who I'd bumped into a few times fishing there. Always had been a friendly, and helpful sort. Scott turned the mood of the day around when he warmly encouraged us to have at the hole that was located quite closely downstream of him.

Not only did the "vibe" take a 180 degree change, but the fishing really picked up too! We spent the next hour or so having a ball sight casting to some really nice rising browns, all the while Scott was running back and forth between his two customers who kept hooking up as well. There was a lot of cheering, and laughing and a bit of banter back and forth as all of us just had FUN! The irony to me is that we were fishing in a smaller zone of water, with even more people, and yet there were no problems and everyone was happy.

I doubt Scott thought much about the small gesture of kindness, and he certainly had NO trouble putting his clients into more fish than they could handle (and I mean that literally). The more I reflected on it later I realized that I should have let him know that his small gesture really helped make our day. I'll have to catch him for a moment the next time I'm there, as I think I at least owe a beer or two. In the mean time I offer that we might all consider the effect that we can have on others we bump into on the water. Just as importantly we should all make a bit more of a point to recognize those who do go the extra mile to be true ambassadors of the sport. Scott Freeman gets a big :thumbsup: :D

JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Sounds like he is one of the good guys out there......thanks for the heads up.

Dan LeCount
04-11-2012, 01:42 AM
A little bit of courtesy goes a looong way.

JGB
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
=D> =D> =D>

Had a similar experience at Hat a few years ago.

A guide there had his clients pull a no-show, so he was just hanging out. I started a conversation with him(not knowing who or what he was) while doing the PH #2 Conga, he took the time to teach me a few things(he actually retied my leader and tippet with his own material!) and then said he was going down below 299. I told him I was thinking of going down there after lunch and he said "..maybe I'll see you down there".

I end up running into him down there, so I give him a wave and then turn and start walking in the opposite direction. Well, he gives me a holler and a wave to come on over. So I do, and we spend the next hour fishing the area together. Finally I discover that he is a stood-up guide! At this point I felt guilty for taking up his time and expertise and told him so, but he says "no problemo, it's been fun!" and then we parted after I gave him my last Davidoff(:crybaby:, but worth it).

Ever since then my success rate at Hat has gone way up. All it cost me was common courtesy and friendliness! Never got his name, but a big "thank you" to him as he was a credit to his profession.

JGB

RDS
04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I have fished with Scott and we had a great time downstream on the ranch. He was a lot of fun to fish with and I would recommend him as a guide. Not to mention that he does seem to know that area pretty well. It is nice when someone goes out of their way to make life just a little bit more enjoyable instead of turning a good time into a miserable experience.