PDA

View Full Version : Beulah 9'6" 6wt Platinum for Valley Steelhead

Slice
04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I recently aquired the abovementioned Beulah rod Brand new (on CL) and was wondering if you all deem it acceptable to go after our smaller valley steelhead.

I cast it on the grass and i will tell you its far heavier than many of the 6wts i have owned/cast. Its heavier than the TFO 7wt pro and far far (far) heavier than the 80's orvis 6wt unsanded graphite I own.

Its funny, the old what weight for fish doesnt seem to apply as builders seem to have 'weighted up' and and old 6wt doesnt compare to a new 6wt.

If not does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace this with the appropriate weight? I do love the way this rod casts.

Thanks for the input, Jim

Siskiyoublues
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I've been using a 10' 6wt and it's been able to handle the California steelhead just fine. I don't see why you'd have any problems.

Trey Coombs talk about using a 3wt on the Klamath in Steelhead Fly Fishing. That's nutty in my books but he's an expert, was this more common practice years ago?

joshfish
04-09-2012, 08:03 PM
on the trinity i use a 9'6" 6wt indicator rod for nymphing and a 9' 7wt for swinging.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
When you say heavy are you talking about casting power or rod weight like in ounces?

Slice
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey good info, thanks guys.

Bill I was incorrectly saying heavy to refer to casting power. The rod has a lot of "backbone".

Thanks, Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Maybe overline it one size? ...........WF7F Steelhead line.