PDA

View Full Version : diving shrew?

DougM
04-08-2012, 09:37 PM
For the aquatic shrews around Calif., I've been thinking along the lines of a3/0 jig hook (yes, I know the hook is big, but so are the fish),bead chain, and sculpin wool.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Darian
04-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure how big an aquatic Shrew is but you might be better off trying to tie up a Muskrat. You can get a full skin, fill it with some type of synthetic material, tie off both ends; all on a 10/0 hook.... Of course you'd have to fish it where there're some Northern Pike or Muskies. :wink:

I guess a Shrew is about the same size as a mouse. That should give you someplace to start thinking about what to do. Then decide whether it's to be fished wet or dry.... Deer hair or some other natural fur. Don't make it too complex. 8)

Ed Wahl
04-08-2012, 11:04 PM
My first and only aquatic shew sighting happened in Golden Trout country. In a pool above a diversion dam me and my brother were killing time waiting on the rest of our party to appear. We were standing on the dam looking into the pool when we saw a 'mouse' on the bank.
Then to our astonishment it jumped into the water. :eek:

It swam out a ways then dove down to the bottom and began to rummage around. What the hell is going on? :eek:

If that wasn't enough when it came back up and swam for shore a Stellars Jay tried to pick it off right out of the water. :eek:

There was a giant Golden swimming around down deep in that pool too.

It wasn't til later that I learned about aquatic shrews.

Get out enough and you'll never stop seeing new things.

Good luck with the fly pattern Doug.

Ed

JD
04-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Had never heard of an aquatic shrew until this thread, but there are drowned mouse patterns out there that you could probably adapt. I'd also look at what the musky/pike fly fishers are using. They, even more so than bass fisherman, are often using patterns based on mammals. Interesting question, sorry can't be more help.

Dan LeCount
04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I havent fished any shrew patterns, but some mouse flies mightve been taken for shrews, theyre pretty similar. Who knows, Id have to ask the fish to know for sure.

bigfly
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Can't help it.....
Picturing a shrew with little flippers and mask.
I know Dan can tie one.....
Articulated of course...with a stinger hook.
I've never seen one, I can't wait......

A 3/0 hook might just kill a biggy.
And a jig hook might not present the way you think.
Unless you are going to high stick it.
DougM, you go dude.
As far as fishing it, I'd pre-soak a floaty mouse pattern tied weedless, and add a splitshot or two on leader..
Throw it on the bank, and drag it off.
Please keep us posted......

Jim

DougM
04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Twenty inches? or twenty pounds?
I'm after the trout you cast to with a 10 weight rod (the size of the flies, as well as the size of the fish require the use of the heavy rod.

Dan LeCount
04-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Twenty inches? or twenty pounds?
I'm after the trout you cast to with a 10 weight rod (the size of the flies, as well as the size of the fish require the use of the heavy rod.
Even a full sized 10 lb plus fish can get brained by too big of a hook. Although the bigger they get, generally the tougher and bonier their mouth gets. So it goes both ways I guess. But In reality you dont need a gap larger then can fit around your finger for trout. Whether freshwater or anadromous. I usually like to use a shank and attach a heavy wire short gap hook like a Gamakatsu or Owner and its less likely to have fatalities then striper hooks. When youre headhunting you dont always catch that 30-40 incher, a lot of the time you catch some beautiful 4-5lb wild fish that are just hungry for a big meal. Trout can easily eat meals over half their length, so unless you're fishing 15 inch flies, youre going to catch 20 something inch fish on occasion. I brained a big beaut of a brown one time and its a crappy feeling. Anways, its your deal, do it how you feel.

As far as patterns go, I tie something kinda like a Morrish mouse

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/06/30/morrish-mouse/

but with rubber legs on a streamer hook shank with a stinger after I cut off the original hook. The stinger tends to hang a little lower and stays in their mouth better. If you didnt want it to be a surface pattern just skip the foam and maybe use some short clumps of bucktail or something similar. Anyways, good luck!

Darian
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
If you don't mind using soft foam bodies, you might check out Rainy's Foam Mouse Bodies. They come in grey, only, and three sizes. Easy to use. :)

WadeK
07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Has anyone seen a mouse/shrew pattern with feet?

I was watching "Once in a Blue Moon", which is about fishing a "Mouse Year" in New Zealand. In 1 scene they follow a mouse swimming in a lake from underneath. You get a fish-eye view of the mouse for a few seconds.
I remember thinking all a fish sees if a mass of grayish brown with FLASHING PINK/black/PINK/black feet with a barely wiggling tail trailing behind. Every mouse pattern I see has a tail, most have noses, eyes, ears,... but I've never seen 1 with feet. Those FLASHING PINK/black feet would have to be 1 helluva trigger! :drool:

Charlie S
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking Bull Trout...and the little footsies seem like a good idea too.