PDA

View Full Version : First Bass on the New Boat

JAWallace
04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I think Bill and Carlo left some good karma with the 12' Olympian. Went out with one of the members here on Folsom today. He got 3 Spots and one LMB, I got one pretty good Spot. All were 3 lbs. +. We got 21.9 mph GPS with two of us, not bad, and the boat is perfect, now re-rigged for fly fishing.

We didn't do anything until we found +60 deg water, and the fish were on for only a couple of hours. Got them all in 4-6 ft.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/LocalCenters/Misc%20Fishing%20Pictures/SpottedBassFolsom4-7-12.jpg

OceanSunfish
04-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Outstanding!

Technique?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Those bass that are in clear water have nice markings and white bellies.

That is a very good boat.....

JAWallace
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
The "technique" in our case is know when you got beat and default to plastics. We each got bit a couple of times on flies (one Zonker, one chenille worm) but they were very tentative and we couldn't get anything to stick. Or, maybe the bites were so subtle we couldn't detect them. I was using Type 4 to get the patterns down on the floor, he was using a 200 grain Teeny sink tip. Didn't seem to matter. We go through this early season every year it seems, or maybe it's just me, but until the WT hits 70 and they're super active I have a tough time getting them on flies in lakes. The Delta doesn't seem to work that way--maybe the moving water makes a difference in their propensity to attack.

OceanSunfish
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for insight. Folsom perplexes the best conventional fisherman more times than not..... so I had to ask....

Way to get out there and give it a shot.

BTW, the big carp will be getting active very soon.