PDA

View Full Version : Big fresh Atlantic Salmon on YouTube...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4Z0irASgQ&feature=related

Newfoundland.....

Watch this video clip..........some of the best fly fishing in the world.

Ned Morris
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Next month in New Brunswick!!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-05-2012, 09:49 AM
We want pictures Ned...

STEELIES/26c3
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM
That was awesome!!

That first jump she gave was incredible...

Great footage whoever shot the video.

I thought his release was gentle enough on the fish also.

SWEET!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
If I could catch an Atlantic Salmon like that I would be done.....

Ned Morris
04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Very excited!

We want pictures Ned...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2012, 08:15 AM
To catch a wild Steelhead or wild Atlantic Salmon over 20 pounds on a fly rod is one of the best things on earth.

Ned Morris
06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
As promised Bill but I have no Atlantic Salmon to show. Fished 2 days and saw a couple 40 lb. monsters swim right past my fly. All I could get was some tiny parr but no one else at the lodge hooked a fish in 5 days other than a few Sea Run Brook Trout. Water was low but a truly beautiful place and found out I will have to travel again next June to Halifax and St. John for work so guess I will get another shot. The Restigouche River Lodge is a class act lodge. The owners are fabulous and met some new friends including Greg Heister from "Seasons on the Fly" who was a truly cool guy and he lucked out and got one 2 days before me with a fish of 18 lbs. which is considered smallish!!!!!!!! Check out the episode on the Restigouche River Atlantic Salmon in a few months and you'll see my big ugly mug with the visor on which those East Coast guys couldn't stop giving me the business about. Great trip. Here are a few pics.

Larry S
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Ned,
Thanks for the pics; great looking water. Hope you fare better next time.
Best,
Larry S

pgw
06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the report Ned,

I'll be there July 28th, armed with a bunch of rods, reels, & flies.

Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
What a beautiful place....thanks Ned.

PGW.....we need pictures.

Ned Morris
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks Larry. It was a real dream fishing there fish or no fish. My co-workers in St. John were PO'd I didn't try the Miramichi.

Paul - I cannot thank you enough for your recommendation on the Restigouche River Lodge. Keith Vanacore is a class act and you will fish with some great people no doubt. Lots of guys were throwing Thomas & Thomas 15'-16' 8/9 with Mako Spey Reels I think 9600S. My fishing buddy had a Wintston 15' 8/9 and an original Jack Charlton and let me try it for a few. All I can say is WOW! Some even had some Stan Bogdan reels which were so cool to see. I showed up with my Loomis GL3 9'9" Single hand and Reddington Rise 8/9 and I did get a few eyebrows raised. However my guide Auly told me I would have no problem. Not so sure if I hooked a 30lb-40lb fish. I think I would want a spey in hand. You're gonna love it and going to get some fish. Really nothing out there other than lots of rolling green hills so be careful driving from Maine and brush up on your French. I saw more Moose than people once I passed Fredericton and continued all the way to the lodge. Saint Quentin and towns on Prov. Hwy 17 speak nothing but French and same when you leave the lodge and go to Matapedia Quebec.

Best of Luck and I want to see your pics!

PS - Stay away from the Fiddleheads!

pgw
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Ned,

I'm taking one spey rod (14' - 9/10) and a few single handed rods (7, 8, & 9 wt)...

One question, beside the salmon flies (and some West Coast Steelhead patterns) will I require any trout flies?

Paul

Ned Morris
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Bring the Spey rod and spey rod only. The River is wider than the main Sacramento River through the entire Valley maybe same width as Rio Vista. Sea Run Brook Trout will hit the Atlantic Salmon Flies and you cannot fish the Restigouche river by yourself for Trout or Salmon. It's all private water and you have to have a guide with you unless you decide to fish the Matapedia River 5 miles away which has some public water. If you are going to fish for Trout in Maine or other parts of NB then I would bring the 6 wt single hand to go with. Flies: They are big on the double prong hooks on the Restigouche and patterns are: Green Highlander, Rusty Rat, Silver Rat, and maybe 3 or 4 more. Certainly bring some of your own flies but you will be using the ones they supply at the lodge as proven patterns for many decades. About $5 CAD each plus they have custom made leaders too at $7 CAD. You could make your own using Maxima but tippet should be about 15 lbs.