PDA

View Full Version : New Brunswick

Ned Morris
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
My business trip to St. John just got moved up a couple months to May so scrambling for advice/info as I want to tack on a couple days after I finish meetings there. Would love to target Atlantic Salmon as I hear there is a Spring Run on the Miramichi as well as some Sea Run Brookies. Real question I have: is it worth the 8 hour drive to Cape Breton in Nova Scotia to fish the Margaree River where I heard can have larger Spring Run of Atlantic Salmon or just go to Miramichi which is about 3-4 hours away. Advice? I will take anything. I am bringing my 9'9" 8 wt with floating, F/S, and type II so should be in business. Wilson's Camps on Miramichi look really cool. Thanks All!

pgw
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Recently, I've been in contact with the folks at the Restigouche River Lodge in (Northern New Brunswick), trying to arrange a trip...I'm probably going in late July, however they indicate that the early season (May, early June) is when larger salmon as well as the sea run trout are in the river. The Restigouche people recommend 8-9-10 single handed rods and 10-11-12 double handed rods in the early season and lighter stuff as the season goes into late June through August.

I'll be driving there from Bangor, Me (5+ hours).

In my spare time, I tying a lot of hair wing versions of salmon flies.

Hope my info helps, other than Hosmer Lake in Oregon, I've never seen an Atlantic Salmon yet.

Paul

Larry S
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Ned and Paul,
Suggest you check in at http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/.
You'll have to register to post. Think that you will find and get some
good info and advice there.
Best,
Larry S

Ned Morris
04-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Thank you Paul. The Restigouche River looks like the real ticket! Like you about 5 hour drive for me as well when I am in St. John. I am going to call today to see if I can get 3 nights 2 days Fishing in 3rd week of May. Might be too late but worth checking out.

Thanks Larry S for the info. I will for sure check out.

Ned Morris
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Paul,
I spoke to Bill at Restigouche River Lodge and got in for late May. THANK YOU!!!! Fall Kelts in the River with Huge Spring Run Fish. He asked how I heard of them and mentioned your name and this board. Reference it when you book. Give you a report when I get back

Thanks again,
Ned

Recently, I've been in contact with the folks at the Restigouche River Lodge in (Northern New Brunswick), trying to arrange a trip...I'm probably going in late July, however they indicate that the early season (May, early June) is when larger salmon as well as the sea run trout are in the river. The Restigouche people recommend 8-9-10 single handed rods and 10-11-12 double handed rods in the early season and lighter stuff as the season goes into late June through August.

I'll be driving there from Bangor, Me (5+ hours).

In my spare time, I tying a lot of hair wing versions of salmon flies.

Hope my info helps, other than Hosmer Lake in Oregon, I've never seen an Atlantic Salmon yet.

Paul

pgw
04-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Paul,
I spoke to Bill at Restigouche River Lodge and got in for late May. THANK YOU!!!! Fall Kelts in the River with Huge Spring Run Fish. He asked how I heard of them and mentioned your name and this board. Reference it when you book. Give you a report when I get back

Thanks again,
Ned

Ned,

Me and the person to whom I'm related by marriage are booked for a week starting July 29th (I'm the only one fishing...saves on extra gear and fly tying). Bill at the lodge says I may have a shot at some Atlantic Salmon on dries...gives me a chance to use all the Bombers and Waller-Wakers that the Deschutes fish neve ate!

I'm looking forward to your May Report.

Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I fished the Miramichi River once and my Gille (Guide) said that the first two weeks in July was his favorite time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Video clip on the Margaree River:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWkmGAFDgA&feature=related

Looks like a trout stream.....