PDA

View Full Version : Silaflex Rod

Rossflyguy
03-31-2012, 05:16 PM
I have a 7'9" Silaflex Magnum PT200 fly rod. After doing some research I found out that this rod is from the 1960-62. It was the my first fly rod that my dad gave me and that I used to learn how to fly fish 13 yrs ago. Does anyone know the value of this rod now and if there is anyone who would be able to refurbish this rod so I could hand it down to the next generation?

shawn kempkes
03-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a 7'9" Silaflex Magnum PT200 fly rod. After doing some research I found out that this rod is from the 1960-62. It was the my first fly rod that my dad gave me and that I used to learn how to fly fish 13 yrs ago. Does anyone know the value of this rod now and if there is anyone who would be able to refurbish this rod so I could hand it down to the next generation?

It will cost more to fix the rod than its worth.

Charlie S
03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
That's an old one and the value is in what you think of it. Raptor Rod Works in Chico can give you a good honest estimate on cost of refurbishing. He also does really good work. I disagree with Shawn on the worth of refurbishing this rod basically because it is one that was made when Silaflex was still Silaflex and they made great glass rods. My first steelhead rod was built in Oakland at Fruitvale Bait and Tackle by Pudge Gagnon on a Silaflex blank, 9ft that Pudge cut in half to make a two piece rod...it was a cannon and still would be if some thief hadn't liked it more than I could protect.

shawn kempkes
03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
That's an old one and the value is in what you think of it. Raptor Rod Works in Chico can give you a good honest estimate on cost of refurbishing. He also does really good work. I disagree with Shawn on the worth of refurbishing this rod basically because it is one that was made when Silaflex was still Silaflex and they made great glass rods. My first steelhead rod was built in Oakland at Fruitvale Bait and Tackle by Pudge Gagnon on a Silaflex blank, 9ft that Pudge cut in half to make a two piece rod...it was a cannon and still would be if some thief hadn't liked it more than I could protect.

You have to admit the rod has more sentimental value than dollar value. A rod like that may net you a couple hundred bucks if it was in pristine condition but not much more.

Charlie S
03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Absolutely agree Shawn...but the sentimental value is far greater than the dollar value, especially since he wants to hand it to the next generation.......things like that can't be valued or replaced....I'd say go for it Rossflyguy....if Jim at Raptor Rods can't come to an agreement with you let me know, I can also help and Shawn knows my work quality.

EricO
04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Hey there UC! Eric (the artist formerly known as Anglernut) here.:)

I agree, Raptor does good work.

I broke the tip of a Powell Hexagraph 8'6" that my dad gave me some years back.
Broke my heart cuz of the sentimental value. It's a rod I'm going to pass to my son.

They repaired the tip and made a second one for me...can't even tell the difference.

Hope you are doing well!

Eric

LNelson
04-01-2012, 03:20 AM
Make a post on Fiberglassflyrodders forum. The best collection of fiberglass fly rod fanatics in the world reside there. You will find out exactly what you have and what the current market value is. Additionally, you will also find the some of the best custom fly rod builders and rodsmiths in the world there. As a long time watcher of the used gear market, fiberglass is the new "bamboo". All those Fenwicks that were being sold at garage sales for $5 are now getting $75-$150 depending on condition, while cane prices have been flat or on the decline in recent years.

Below is a link to the Wiki that is part of the FFR forum site. Your rod was considered a premium rod back in that era and retailed for an unheard of $100 for 1960.

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5183007/Silaflex

My Scott F81. This was one of the first Scott rods built by Harry Wilson in his basement on 10th Ave in San Francisco. A few years ago I had Larry Kenney, Harry's first partner and subsequent owner of Scott Rod Co rewrap it for me using the same thread that they used on the original. Worth every penny.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/steckdoesfish/for%20sale/IMG_1415.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/steckdoesfish/for%20sale/IMG_1414.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Those old yellow fiberglass Scott rods from Berkeley, CA are pretty cool. I sold them in my old shop....

The old Winston fiberglass are nice too.

Both had their blank made by Fisher rod company.

When I started in the retail fishing tackle industry in 1965 at Sports Unlimited on Arden Way in Sacramento, CA split cane and fiberglass were the big deal for new fly rods. An 8' #6 weight was the standard size fly rod for trout.

Many brands of fiberglass fly rods existed then that are gone now, but some are still here:

Fenwick, Shakespeare, Conolon, Sila Flex, Harnell, Phillipson, Hardy, Scientific Angler, Scott, Winston, Russ Peak, Wright- McGill, J K Fisher, Gary Howells, Jimmy Green, Heddon, South Bend, Steffen, Lamiglas, St. Croix, Orvis......more?

In smaller shorter sizes fiberglass and split cane rods perform beautifully. It is just in the longer lengths that graphite is king.....

Rossflyguy
04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
It has more sentimental value then its worth and thats why I want it refurbished. The epoxy thats holding the threads is flaking off. I actually used to take it to the SF casting pond and I would have many people asking me if they could try it out. It casts awesome! I can get it out to 40'-50' no problem for a short rod. I just want it to look new again. I was also just curious of the value, I'm not trying to sell it. I'll check out the recommendations....thanks everyone.If it doesn't work out I'll send you a message Charlie.