PDA

View Full Version : NFF - Kinda

Jay Murakoshi
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Are there any artists or painters out there who can help me out. I need to make an olive color dye. I know blue/yellow will make green but what colors do you need to make olive.
I'm going to be using some ink called FW ink. It's an artist ink but before I go out and purchase 5 to 6 bottles, I want to make sure I get the right colors

So it's OLIVE color that I want to make

Thanks

Jay

So what am I going to do with the FW Ink....:-)

Darian
03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Jay,.... I've blended aircraft dope, oil and water colors before and found that blue and yellow do produce an olive color. The coloring becomes olive when there is more blue than yellow in the mix. The more blue added, the darker the olive becomes. Not sure about inks even tho it should work.... :neutral:

Mike McKenzie
03-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Jay,

Red, Blue and Yellow will give you the typical "Olive Drab" other than that, you need a cool blue such as prussian blue or or a lighter cool blue such as cerulean blue depending on the type of olive green you wish to make. Basically blue and yellow make green so if you add a color from the yellow part of the spectrum you will get some form of green. Try a light orange or a hot yellow to give an olive green. Experiment with different combinations of blue and yellow. If you have already made a basic green with blue and yellow but it is not murky enough to be olive then try adding a little red to it..try a red towards orange as opposed to a purple red.
Tryin' to remember back to my oil paintin' days.....(40+ years ago)

Mike

Tony Buzolich
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Mike's got the right idea. If you mix Red-Yellow+Blue together you'll get mud. But that can be good if it's the muddy brown you want. But start out slow with larger amount of light color (yellow), then add only a small amount of red (creates orange) but then add even a smaller amount of the blue. The largest amount is simply the yellow base.

Here's another way to think of making it. Take yellow and a little red to make your orange.
Then in another batch take yellow again with a little blue to make your green. Both the orange and green are secondary colors.

Then you can mix the two secondaries together (in whatever proportion) to get the shade of olive that you're looking for. If you want it a little warmer or cooler simply add a little red or blue.

I used to teach art in Sacramento many years ago and the color wheel was always fun.
Tony

Jay Murakoshi
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions... Here's what I'm doing

I'm going to take some snow white wig hair and dye it olive. I want an olive with a medium sheen but not real dark. Yes, the synthetic wig hair will take a dye although the guy at the wig shop says "no". I'm going to be using ink called FW ink to dye the hair. But the problem will be finding the right colors to mix. Plus I will be using some rubbing alcohol. I found this on the internet.
I found some pure white wig hair and now going to make my own olive, since I can't find it anymore or haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Last night I tied up 4 dozen wig hair bait fish patterns for baja and used up all my olive wig hair. My fly supply is building up, hopefully the fish will like what I have to offer.

Jay