PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay advice

Woodman
03-28-2012, 10:41 PM
I've got a family trip planned to Monterey for four days next week. If I get a few hours to sneak off with a fly rod, any advice for which beach(es) to ht for some perch action.

Jimmie
03-29-2012, 08:26 AM
I have caught perch on the beach at Carmel and in front of Asilomar. Salinas State Beach just north of Monterey and Moss Landing Beach are known places for Surf Perch. Hopefully Ken Hanley will chime in here for you. Ken is THE MAN for the Monterey Bay surf (for the entire coast for that matter)

Good Luck and Take Care,

Jimmie

Jay Murakoshi
03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I lived and fished in Monterey for 35+ years. If you're going to be in Monterey, the hotel on the beach can be productive at times, also the sewer plant area. Asilomar is a good area but not many troughs, pretty much flat beaches. Marina beach - I advise staying away from that area if you're not familiar with the waters, heavy rips and dangerous until tows. Salinas River State Park. Another area that can be good, a long walk from the car.
If you have wheels, I would go fish the Palm Beach area. This is by Pajaro Dunes. Lot's of beach to cover, a number of troughs and channels to wet your fly.

My advise, check the weather. There's suppose to be a front coming through this weekend and it could be blowing and the surf could be high. What ever you do, fish safe

Jay

Woodman
03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks All,

I will be staying at Asilomar so that may be the best bet. Best opportunities to slip away for an hour or two at the right tides.

Jay Murakoshi
03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Walk right across the street and walk towards PB, then fish your way back. Or you can try fishing the tide pools, usually lots of different species hiding in the rocks.

Jay

DV8
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Watch for rips, we just had a guy die surfcasting around Santa Cruz.