PDA

View Full Version : El Raton fly ???

mike borba
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Let me preface this by saying I've tied and pretty much used my own flies for over 40 years. That being said I'm a sucker for "weedless" bass flies that ride hook point up. So I actually bought a Price's El Raton fly because I couldn't tell how it was tied from pictures. Now that I have it I'm still not sure what causes this pattern to ride hook point up. The hook seems to be a standard Tiemco bass hook. There doesn't seems to be any weight that would cause it to ride hook point up, so I'm assuming that its caused by the fly design. Any comments on this pattern? The next step is the razor blade. Mike

Darian
03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm not familiar with this fly but it would seem that, absent weighted, dumbell eyes or a cone at the head of the fly, the weight would be on the shank of the hook under the materials. If no weight, it has to be the design. Meaning that the materials added have to be less dense on the side of the shank that rides up than on the other side. Of course, the hook design in combination might help the point to ride up.

gene goss
03-29-2012, 08:00 AM
This might answer your question Mike..... great looking fly, i may have to tie some up.
http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/05/el-raton-maker-speaks.html