PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco derby next weekend......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.galtheraldonline.com/articles/2012/03/12/news/doc4f580928ee9b1710167468.txt

Chuck Campana is very knowledgable when it comes to fly fishing Rancho Seco Pond.

He was in today and said they would be planting Seco on Friday and Saturday for the derby this weekend.

Chuck says that very few fish are caught on the weekend at the derby because the fish are still in shock from the move.

He said next week shouid be great though.

Chuch uses a pram so he can stand a spot the fish in the clear water.

He uses a weight forward floating line and a 15 to 20 foot total leader to 4x tippet to let the lightly weighted wet fly sink to the fish.

He likes a fly that is shaggy and olive in a size 12 . He like peacock bodied flies a lot.

The fish seem to hold up in pods along the shore line so trolling around is not always that successful.

Kiene's info page in REPORTS:

http://www.kiene.com/reports/ponds/ranchoseco.htm

JAWallace
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Two of us are going to Seco tomorrow. We assumed there would be some fish, maybe not. Might try for some bass. Or change plans at the first coffee stop:confused:

Scott V
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Bass will probably be the only thing you might find. Temps have been cool so go deep. There are monsters in there, I believe the record is around 14 pounds.

JAWallace
03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Picked up some low hanging fruit in "Power Bait Cove" before the bankers arrived, all small (12"). Graphed some fish over structure at 9', saw two healthy LMB but couldn't get them to stick. Tried some Airheads in what looked to be good water, nada. Didn't graph anything below 10'. WT was 56. Power Baiters didn't have a hit for a good two hours and we called it a short day.

Scott V
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Monday and Tuesday should be the real good.

JAWallace
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
GBFF has a fish out on Tuesday there and I plan to be on the water then. Should be pretty good, and pretty crowded too.

Scott V
03-30-2012, 07:33 AM
GBFF has a fish out on Tuesday there and I plan to be on the water then. Should be pretty good, and pretty crowded too.

I may try and sneak out of work to fish that day. I am a board member with GBFF.

JAWallace
03-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Look me up, Scott. I'm a new member and only know one person--John Hogg. I'll be in a red Renegade. Love to meet up. ~John

Scott V
03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
If I don't make it out to Seco introduce yourself at the next meeting if you go. I will be doing a talk about the fishouts I will be leading. Did you sign up for the Greenstone fishout on April 28th? If not you should, it will be for bass in private water.

JAWallace
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I am signed up for Greenstone and Murieta and E. Carson. I'm also quite free during the weekdays because the commercial real estate market is so strong and there are so many leases to put out :unibrow: so if anyone gets the desire for a last minute trip and wants some company lemme know.

Ed Wahl
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't trust him LC.

He'll show up at the spot, wonder aloud how to put his rod together, question the viability of this thing even working, twist his toe in the sand and mutter "gosh" a few times,put on some dopey fly made of cat hair or something that you know is inappropriate for what you're trying to catch, hook himself in the back, hook you in the back, snarl up his leader, mutter about useless 'tippet stuff', smoke some weed, have a snack and proceed to catch every fish in the pond.

When he notices that you're not catching anything he'll explain to you how it's done.

By the book. With examples and illustrations.

Then he'll just keep doing it all wrong and catching more fish.

It takes some intestinal fortitude to fish with Scotty, I gotta do it some more myself. :D

This guy's just fishy as hell.

Ed

fishngy
03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Just going to add "Amen" to Ed's comments! I think he is rather fishy also.... Maybe I will be out there on Tuesday also? Bill

Scott V
04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Hey I resemble that remark!!!

Gonna try and sneak away from work at noon on Tuesday.

Got the ok from work, I'll be there just after noon. Same some fish for me!!