PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand cherokee or 4Runner, Xterra

Walt
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I like the reliability of Toyota and Nissan but am considering a GC because of the ride. Does anyone have good/bad experiences with the Jeep over the other two. I'm not a "4wheeler" but like the assurance of 4WD . Normally just the dirt roads/sand to get to and from fishing areas. Normally there is a lot of hwy driving before you get there. Also has anyone just used AWD and been satisfied, which opens other possibilities.Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Buy a Consumer Guide magazine about used car ratings.

They will go back about 5 years.

This is good info.............

As a rule the Jeeps have very poor ratings for dependability.

DFrink
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I have a Nissan Titan, love it. But the MPG's suck. The XTera isn't much better. My wife has a Subaru, there AWD is awesome! Way better than Nissan, Honda or Toyota's. Not sure if that helps.

Jaybinder
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
I've had my FJ for about 6 months now. It's very comfortable on the highway and handles very well off road and in the snow. There's lots of room for gear and plenty of head room. The gas mileage is similar to the other vehicles you mentioned.
If you have any questions let me know.

Jason

P.S.If you do your own oil changes you'll love the oil filter location.

Jimmie
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser too and have been pretty happy with it....

Randy B
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I've had Chevy's (Suburban and 1/2 ton p/u) 4WDs. Now have a 4Runner and a Dodge Cummins diesel. The 4Runner and the Dodge are about the same on MPGs, but the Suburban was the best on MPGs...and had a 44 gallon tank!

If I were personally in the market for a commando fishin' ride, I'd be looking for a Toyota FJ 60 Landcruiser. They have a reliable inline 6, bullet-proof axles, spacious compared to any of the SUVs you mentioned, but the MPGs are in the teens.

Just my 2 cents.

Terry Thomas
03-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Had my last 4-Runner for 11 years...Zero problems. Bought another one in 2010 and am very happy with it. Getting @21 mpg.
T.

TaylerW
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
the new 4runners are awesome. im searching for a 1985 fj60 but they are the holy grail of cruisers

neil
03-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm also in the market for a new (used) ride, and have considered all three mentioned by OP. I've pretty much settled on the Xterra due to relative economy, utility, and off-highway capability. 4Runner is a close second, but a bit pricier. The Jeep appears to be a way more comfortable ride, and also has good off-highway capability, but reliability is pretty poor. They also typically come with lots of extras, like heated seats and electrical everything. I prefer more manual controls, and the basic, utilitarian flavor of the Xterra appeals to me. Hope I can score one with a manual transmission.

Dabalone
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Gas consumption would be a large factor at least for me, could possibly be seeing $6 dollar gasoline, who knows. Gas mileage has not been a big selling point for Jeep at least in the past. I am gravitating towards a scooter these days.

GreggH
03-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Forget all the bad engineering that has plagued the Jeep in the last 20 years. Chrysler got serious with the new jeep and this vehicle is a true off road contender plus a great highway ride as well.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/images-11.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/2012-Jeep-Wrangler-502.jpg

TomV
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I have a 2008 V8 4 Runner and get between 17 combined to 21 on the highway in cruise control at 65, and I can tow my big boat in a pinch with the 7,000 lb rating (13 mpg). No problems at 75K and very reliable and comfortable. They have excellent reliability ratings.

jbird
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
If youre a tall guy, you wont fit in a 4runner

Frank Roepke
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Walt,
All the vehicles you mentioned are built well; I don’t think you will go wrong with any of them. I would be partial to Toyota, having owned several of them. You mentioned a lot of hwy driving and not as much mudding or 4X4. Due to increasing gas prices, I would recommend a Subaru Outback. They have good ground clearance with a short wheel base so they off road just fine in snow, sand, and dirt roads. You Tube is a great place to see the outback in action, also for reviews for all the vehicles.
I am in the Auto industry and have strong connections with Toyota and Subaru, would be happy to hook you up. PM me.

Thanks,

Frank

Craig Nielsen
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
After putting 280,000 on my 1999 4Runner I found myself in the market for a new guide vehicle last season. The new 4Runners were out of my price range. Purchased a 2011 Subaru Tribeca, have put 35,000 on it and couldn't be more pleased.

Most miles have been paved roads and highways but I have taken it to Ah Di Na and the Nature Conservancy on the McCloud several times as well as into Bollibokka which it has managed well. It is extremely comfortable, roomy, affordable and has a good record for reliability. Mileage has been in the low 20's except when towing a driftboat when I get just under 20 mpg's.

Bill Markwood
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
You can get an Outback into Ah Di Nah no problem too. I have been down some of the access roads to the Upper Sac and I'm sure that my Outback would have bottomed out. Other than that, my Outback is a great little car. It can hold a 9'6" rod fully extended no problem.

Adam Grace
03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I am interested in the Subaru Forrester. This compact SUV has all-wheel drive but lacks the power to tow. Subaru could also make a nice vehicle for you.

Slice
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
My family is on its 3rd 4runner, 1st was a new 1990 and i currently drive a 2002 with 190k. Not as comfortable for camping as my vw eurovan but it will go anywhere. I can sleep me only comfortably as i need to sleep diagonal. The ones without the sunroof do have more headroom.

Also, if you have dogs i think it may be the only suv with a roll down back window. Do the new ones have the roll down? Why dont more cars have that?

joshfish
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
here is a little input from a mechanics stand piont. the xterra is a nice rig but nissan is very expensive to repair. as far as jeep goes i dont care for the grand cherokee especially for a fishing rig. all the luxury stuff is not necessery and can get expensive to repair. if i were to get a jeep it would be a late 90s cherokee
4wd with the 4.0 straight six. i have several customers with these rigs that have 300k on them and still going. my number one pic would be toyota. toyotas hold therte value so as far as a used vehicle it will be the most expensive. they are very reliable and are not too expensive to repairand maintain. subaru is a good rig. one common problem i see a lot of with subaru is driver side head gaskets leak coolant. as far as 4wd vs awd i would get a 4wd as gas milage will usually be a little better since the front wheels are driving all the time. hope this little bit of info helps with your decision. if you have any questions about specfic vehicles you can pm me and ill do my best to answer them.

JGB
03-23-2012, 07:54 AM
are for girls.

Here, grow a pair for cryin' out loud...!

http://unimogcentre.com/unimogfs.html

Or buy a Toyota, Jeeps make good gifts for ex-wives.

Sheesh, just kidding!
JGB

DFrink
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
As I said above, my wife has a 2012 Subraru Forester. I love the gas milage, and it handles snow and slippery roads very well. It's roomy, comfortable, and they get very good reviews for reliability. If I didn't feel like I "needed" a truck this is what I would buy.

Garfly
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey, what kind of MPG's are you subaru owners getting???26-35?

El Rey
03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
My '02 Outback with 155,000 miles gets 25-28mpg. Still going strong. Love this car.

Harlan

STEELIES/26c3
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
From a newer, Dodge Ram/Hemi owner and former Jeep GC owner and friend of a Toyota 4Runner enthusiast...

I say Go with the Toy Yota...
Reliability, Repairs economic/Relatively easy, Reasonable fueling costs, Resale value.

Just keep an eye on your catalytic converter...

M

tallguy
03-24-2012, 08:36 AM
I'd say whatever you do, run the cost of ownership calculation with $7-8/gal gas, and maybe even $10/gal, because thats what it will cost in the last few years of your ownership. Make sure you are comfortable with the cost/mile outcome of that calculation, its whats going to occur during the lifetime of this vehicle.

All the world wants gas for their cars now, except we just ain't got that much around.. choose wisely.

aaron
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I'd say whatever you do, run the cost of ownership calculation with $7-8/gal gas, and maybe even $10/gal, because thats what it will cost in the last few years of your ownership. Make sure you are comfortable with the cost/mile outcome of that calculation, its whats going to occur during the lifetime of this vehicle.

All the world wants gas for their cars now, except we just ain't got that much around.. choose wisely.

Hey look we have an oil speculator on the board ;)

stonefly58
03-25-2012, 08:05 AM
I am one of the lucky ones and own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The only issue I have had is the crank position sensor needed replacement at 122,000 miles, other than that this has been a solid ride at 19.97 MPG average loaded with all my gear or no gear, with a 4.0 liter inline 6, automatic and of course 4wd, it also serves as my tent for weekend trips too!