PDA

View Full Version : DT vs WF Fly Line

Ben J
03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey everyone, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a 1 wt fly rod for fishing small trout streams. I'm looking at getting a Rio Trout LT line, but I'm unsure about whether to get the double taper or weight forward version for such a light rod. I have never fished a double taper line, so I am not familiar with the advantages/disadvantages when compared to a weight forward line on such a light setup. I was hoping you guys could clue me in on DT lines. Thanks!

BigSmallFly
03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a 00 Sage and use it for small streams. Think Golden Trout and brookies. Dries only. Midge dry fly in the fall. These types of creeks and fishing, it's all about control and mending, not about distance. When I want more control, roll cast, curve cast, arrow cast, and mending in currents, I prefer the Double Taper. Weight forward leaves too much weight in the tip for the fine controls, and subtle mending. When I need the lightest rod I have, I prefer the Double Taper.

I do have to say, when the flows are higher, or when the wind picks up, I prefer a bamboo, or slow action rod with a little more backbone, and then I use the Weight forward line that adds a little more punch, and the flies line is not required to be a subtle.

Ultra lite lines? I love it!

ricards
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
One advantage of a double-taper is that you can reverse the line and use the back end, as it ages. All of my replacement lines are now DT. Sometimes you can pick them up at bargain prices, as well.

dpentoney
03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
One problem you might encounter reversing a double taper line for such a light outfit is that the whole line might not fit on your reel. I fish a 3 wt. glass Hardy rod with a Hardy Featherweight reel and it won't hold a full double taper flyline. I like to have a little backing just in case, so cut about 30 feet off the line so I could add some 12 Lb. dacron backing.

Jet
03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
There is a general rule of thumb that if it less than a 5 wt use a DT line. My son and I both have 1wt's and we like to over line them with 2wt lines. I think you should make an effort to try and cast a friends or shop line. I had the sage quiet taper 1 wt and did not like it. I can't say that we don't try to make the 1wt do more that it was designed to do. We fish larger flies and as much wind as it can handle. I have a wf and I like it cause sometimes I'll fish a stimmie or big dry. Best to try a few different lines before you spend the big bucks on somethng you don't like.

Tight Lines,

Jet

Fats
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I always thought the front taper of most trout lines was similar on DT lines and WF lines. The line weight would be determined by the mass of the first 30' of the fly line. By that logic for casts under 30' ( what you would typically find on small streams ) you really shouldn't find that much of a difference. I've got some DT lines on some reels... I've taken care of them and haven't felt the need to reverse any of them ( I guess I will someday, if I haven't fallen in love with a new line entirely.) For longer casts the weight of a DT line will really start to load the rod, as opposed to the much lighter running line on the WF.

I've cast a bunch of rods with different lines and haven't really noticed all that much difference.

Bumping the fly line up one size can really make a difference on how a rod feels. I'll do that on some of my small stream rods just to help them load up on short casts.

Roll casts under 30 would still be the same. I do like the DT lines for longer roll casts.

Ben J
03-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a 3 wt right now that is lined with a WF line and i like the way it handles and casts... I spend my summers in Plumas County which has tons of small streams that i love to fish, but i've found that the 3 wt is a little much on the really small ones (small trout flying out of the water on hook sets). I think stepping down to a 1 wt could make it all the more enjoyable. Wish i could go with one of the sage ultralights, but i've splurged all my money the last few years on two handers:D . I'm probably going with the TFO Finesse 1 wt, and hopefully I'll be able to get a hold of a 2 wt DT line to cast on it.
Anyone have experience with the TFO Finesse line of rods?
Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

kaju
03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I use 3 different TFO rods... a 10' professional 5wt., and a 2wt. and 4wt. Finesse. The 5wt. I use for high sticking, and the Finesse are used anywhere and everywhere. All of these rods have performed very well. The medium action Finesse rods are very good when using lighter tippet... when I went out today the 4wt. brought in some wild 'bows up to 26.5". TFO puts out good quality rods that aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Kaju

rusty fly
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Royal Wulff makes a triagle taper in a 2 wt. It's weight forward and one of the best roll casting lines. The running is thin so it shoots well.

Adam Grace
03-23-2012, 11:55 PM
WF lines act like a DT at distance under about 30' anyway. I would recommend a WF, the triangle taper wouldn't be bad but I enjoy my S.A. GPX line with a heavier and shorter front taper.