PDA

View Full Version : A couple flies

Jay Murakoshi
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
that have been tied with wig hair. I've been using these patterns for a couple years down in the baja and have done exceptionally well, especially using a OBS F/I.
The fly is tied with wig hair and the underneath is a pom pom which gives the fly a girthy look.
And I have my first attempt at a wig hair hollow head fly. Looks like I need to add one more pom pom underneath to maintain the cylindercol look to the fly. The heads have been finished with CCG Flex.
The bait fish patterns are a Bob Popovic's design but I'm using wig hair instead of Farrer's blend

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1783.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1778.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/IMG_1785.jpg

The photo's are the best resolution, just a quick set up and shoot

Jay

Darian
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Saw these flies in Yuba City last Tuesday evening. They're really light weight but appear to be very durable. Look a lot like a Charlie's Airhead but aren't. I imagine they will sink quickly once the pom pom soaks up some water. If you're using a two handed retrieve, they should stay up in the surface area. I really like the tan/white version. All in all, a very good looking salty pattern.... :D

Greg F
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
What is a pompom?

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2012, 08:54 PM
A pom pom. It's a round little ball made from material. Or better to describe it, so people hang these from there headliner in their car

jay

Fats
03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Those are good looking flies Jay!

Jay Murakoshi
03-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I took them out yesterday for a swim and they have some great looking movement in the water. I have a newly revised wig hair air head which swims with movement
Like i mentioned, I'll be doing these fly's at the fair next month

Jay

FISHEYE
03-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Jay, the pompom is a great idea and the flies look great. I tied these type of flies using the Bob Popovics flexfleye method with rams wool. I tried them last year but no luck during the short time I fished them. I am not sure the fly makes that much difference down there most of the time. When they want to eat, they eat.

Post some pics of the squid.

Jay Murakoshi
03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Same basic principal but I'm using wig hair and pom poms. coating the head with Clear Cure Goo Flexible. I'll be trying the new stuff as soon as i get some flex in my hands.
Ya gotta fish the fly with confidence, more than one cast :-)

Jay

Darian
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Phil,.... I found the Squid fly pattern that Jay gave me after tying it at the Fly Show years ago. Looks great. It's a tube pattern. The mantle is a brush. Proportions are good. The balance of the pattern is pretty much straight forward. Check it out:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-9.jpg

A second pattern is one I bought at Marriott's. Very simple. The mantle is tied the same way as Charlies Airhead and is hollow. Never fished it but I think it might sink s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y. Tied on a long shank hook. I like the simplicity of the pattern but am not a fan of long shanked hooks in salty patterns:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/MyPicture-5.jpg

FISHEYE
03-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks Darian. I really like the looks of that first squid. What is the material in the brush?

Darian
03-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Hmmm,.... I'm not sure what the material is.... :confused: It looks and feels like Farrar Blend but was tied long before that material was available out here. If I recall correctly, it was blended to include Angel Hair as one of the components but the other doesn't appear to be Slinky Fiber. Maybe Jay'll chime in to tell us. :D

Jay Murakoshi
03-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Hey Darian,

Thanks for posting the photo of the squid pattern. That's been a good pattern of Cerralvo Island using a super fast sinking line and sort of a jigging action.
The squid was made from llama hair and a little holographic material was added. Kinda like angel hair but finer, even Shim Hogan the designer of angel hair agreed. The material is 7 different layers of material stacked and molded into one strand
If I'm not mistaken, Ken and I were probably the first on the West Coast to start using the brush. Actually I did it more than he did. The original manufacture of the dubbing machine was Root's Dubbing Company out of Canada. Doug Swisher was also on the pro staff team along with a couple guys from Great Britian. The company didn't last long, too much went into advertising and not enough into the product. I still have a bunch of llama hair and the machine and still make a few brushes every now and then. I just came up with a new blended brush made from wig hair and blended colors to match a crawdad. Now to find the right hook to tie the pattern on.

The squid pattern was around 7" in length and the tentacles were long saddle hackles, the eyes are 3D eyes, the body is made from 4 different lengths of llama hair blended with the holographic material. It took 5 brushes to make a 4" long body on the plastic tube. I must have all my squids in La Paz stored at Jonathan's place

Jay

FISHEYE
03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I have been tying squids and experimenting with different techniques. I have a couple I really like but they are only about 4 inches long. I'll post some pics in a new thread when I get a chance.