PDA

View Full Version : Taking an old photo and applying a HDR effect

Adam Grace
03-15-2012, 03:11 PM
This HDR example was created from one pictures from a P&S camera.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3099/3182387969_955b1cd9b8.jpg

I photoshopped a copy of the original to bring out the highlights and then to bring out the shadows and then combined all three versions to "properly" expose all light ranges of the picture.

FISHEYE
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Don't know what you did or how you did it, but the photo looks good.

k.hanley
03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Adam can you make me look thinner, taller, and about 25 years younger?
Cheers, Ken

PS: HDR is a cool process. I don't know too much about it, but I think it used to take special software. Is that still the case?

Jay Murakoshi
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Hey partner, it's called photo shop not HDR. My Canon g12 can shoot in HDR mode but I haven't used the function yet, still trying to find the shutter button. And now the new G1X is coming out. Just looked at the Canon XF100
Too many toys to buy and not enough time or is that money.

M

Tony P
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Adam can you make me look thinner, taller, and about 25 years younger?
Cheers, Ken

PS: HDR is a cool process. I don't know too much about it, but I think it used to take special software. Is that still the case?

Give it up Ken, that still wouldn't help you. :p

Tony

P.S. If it does let me know I could use everything but the taller part. :unibrow:

Adam Grace
03-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Jay, I used Photomatix HDR software to merge 3 differently exposed versions of the same image. Regular HDRs are composed of anywhere from 3-5 separately shot exposures, then merged together using specialized software.

Photoshop has an HDR feature but it lacks much of the control that specialized HDR software
(Photomatix) allows. I only used photoshop to take one image and turn it into three different exposure values.

I posted it to show people on the board that you can take a picture with a lower dynamic range and modify it to pull more detail and color out of any single picture.

Ken, give me some time with photoshop and might be able to perform your request ;)