PDA

View Full Version : Guide for Ketchikan Alaska? Recommend one please

stanbery
03-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Does anyone know of a guide that they would recommend in Ketchikan Alaska?
Better half wants to go on a cruise in September and she said i could go fishing for a day.

Jon

jack_salmon99
03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Jon - PM sent

stanbery
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Jon - PM sent

Wow that is awesome!!! Thanks for the great info.

Jon

tommylee
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm on the same cruise, but going mid August, would you mind sending me the same information?

Thank you,

Tommy

stanbery
03-20-2012, 04:38 AM
PM sent.
Jon

jack_salmon99
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Jon and Tommy - I sent information via pm because I wasn't sure if I could name names in Ketchikan. I asked about it and it appears that I would not be violating forum rules so here goes.

The local fly shop is: The Hook Up Fly Shop (http://www.hookupflyshop.com/). Work with Julie (shop manager) or Eric (owner) and let them know how much time you have and what it is you want to chase. Pink salmon are thick mid August and are a kick in the pants on a fly rod (some coho and sockeye will be present). The shop has chest waders, rods, etc and your guide (hopefully you will draw Seth) will have all the flies you need. They will get you licensed too. Certainly bring your own gear: I like to use a 5 wt with floating or sink tip lines; crude Maxima leaders - 3 ft of 25 lb, 3 ft of 15, 3 ft of 8 lb or 10 lb; go-to flies (hook sizes 2 through 6) are purple egg sucking leech, purple kilowatt, clousers, bunny leech, Davis spanker, purple dredger. Besides purple, salmon like chartreuse, fuschia, and hot pink. Be aware that felt soled wading boots are prohibited in AK. If you want trout fishing, the shop can arrange a fly out trip to a remote lake or stream and chase cutthroat or rainbows.

Ocean fishing - I recommend North End Charters (http://www.northendcharters.com/meetus.html). Bill Pattison knows the waters and is widely respected among his peers. Your cruise ship will link you up with charters that operate out of Knudson Cove Marina (http://www.knudsoncove.com/). I don't know if you can request a specific skipper but check with North End or your shore excursion representative to see if you can. Another respected skipper is Bob Mattson with Alie-Bob Charters - last I heard he was trying to sell his business and retire but he may have changed his mind (907) 225-8511.

tommylee
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
thank you very much for the information, no excuses now to not fish.

stanbery
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you very much for all the great info.

Jon

stanbery
03-21-2012, 02:11 AM
jack_salmon99

Sent a Email to Julie and she stated that she would give me a call today.

Thanks again.

Jon

amoeba
03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know of a guide that they would recommend in Ketchikan Alaska?
Better half wants to go on a cruise in September and she said i could go fishing for a day.

Jon

well - I fished that hither and yon in that area a couple times and the silvers didn't come into the rivers much by september....I'm thinkin they run later, except for last year, when some did appear in september in the local streams. Pinks....meh....slimy, small, bore me personally.

There are lakes in the area (1-2 hours flight time, each way) with good cutthroat and rainbow fishing (average size fish, good numbers), and more pinks, perhaps some silvers. But it's ~$450/hr for di minimus plane. Probably more than a day trip type expense.

If fish are in salt, go troll with bait, catch a limit, and have them smoked and sent home. If in freshwater, get a road map and rent a car for a day. The better stream was north of town, if I remember correctly. You can figure it out. A couple fuchsia bunny leeches and a purple ESL (egg-sucking leech) will be fine. Bring an 8 wt rod - you'll snap the 5 wt on a silver or even a big pink.

I use an even cruder maxima leader (3' 20#, 3' 15#) than Jack.