PDA

View Full Version : I need new boots

goby
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
After 10 years and about 500 outings, my Simms Freestones are done. So I need a new pair.

I'm looking for felt soles, since I really only fish the Trinity. I was thinking of another pair of Simms since my last pair lasted so long. I'm not sure what the difference between the styles.

So guys, any suggestions?

Mike R
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Get the new Simms freestones with the felts. Throw some studs in and be done.

See the other boot post for our opinions on the rubber soles.

Mike

goby
03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Is there any reason to get one of the more expensive models from Simms?

aaron
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
If you can try a bunch on, like any type of boot some will fit your particular foot better and be more comfortable.

amoeba
03-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Is there any reason to get one of the more expensive models from Simms?

yeah - the guide model uppers are mostly leather so last ALOT longer. That synthetic stuff in the cheaper models is subject to rips and cracks from occasional sharp rocks, barbed wire, sticks, abrasion, and wetting/drying cycles, where as the leather makes it through this stuff relatively unscathed. The guides weigh more, especially when wet. If you do aggressive wading, hiking, and climbing you are going to need leather. The freestones may do for many people but not for me.

Mike R
03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
yeah - the guide model uppers are mostly leather so last ALOT longer. That synthetic stuff in the cheaper models is subject to rips and cracks from occasional sharp rocks, barbed wire, sticks, abrasion, and wetting/drying cycles, where as the leather makes it through this stuff relatively unscathed. The guides weigh more, especially when wet. If you do aggressive wading, hiking, and climbing you are going to need leather. The freestones may do for many people but not for me.

I have found the exact opposite with regards to leather boots. They are more resistant to wear, but I I have found they are especially susceptible to shrinkage after repeated wet/dry cycles. They are even worse after the leather gets hot (like you leave them locked in the car in Redding in August while you get a chili dog and milkshake). It's one of the reasons I abandoned wearing the leather boots and went to the "pleather". Since I don't spend 250 days a year on the water anymore, my boots get dry now and I was tired of having to soak my boots every time I wanted to fish.

Mike

cyama
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Again the Rivershed boots are light and durable. Synthetic leather actually holds up really well. Real leather on the guides dries up and you need to soak your boots in water before you go fishing. Don't forget the star cleats. It took me a few years and many twisted ankles and broken rods to figure out that you need metal studs for all waters!!

STEELIES/26c3
03-17-2012, 12:07 AM
I have worn out at least a dozen pairs of wading boots in the last 10 years of fishing...

Simms, Hodgman, Corkers, Chota, etc...

I recently purchased the Patagonia Riverwalker boots with studded felt soles ($120 shipped from eBay)

I suspect they'll last several years.

They are hands down the most comfortable, rugged, durable, grippy, and easy-to-lace boots I've ever owned.

Mark

mmrevolver
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I've had at least six pairs of boots, simms, chotas, patagonia, favorite so far is the Cloudveil. These can be had for cheap online and it's all around great boot

Dan LeCount
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
I have about a dozen different pairs of wading boots and I used to help maintain about 4 times that amount of gear for an outfitter. Among those, the old Simms freestones last/lasted like no other. The lifespan of the newer Simms isnt quite like what it was 15 years ago, but still better then anyone else on the market. The freestones are heavy, but they last. The lighter/nicer models generally have more stitching and/or heavy cloth like cordura,etc and thats where they fall apart. The pleather is usually pretty bomber. An old trick from my climbing buddy "Bigfly" put a small dab of aquaseal on any stitching and your boots will last even longer.

Bull_Dog
04-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Dan,

do you remember all the toe boxes crushing on the old freestones? We hae about 25 pair that are basically un-usable. They have fixed the problem now but if you have a pair of Freestones in the 2005-2008 time frame they were horrible.

BigSmallFly
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I have tried just about every brand of boot, and have yet to have a pair last a full season yet. I have used from Cabellas cheappies to Simms top of the line. It was really disapointing when a $300 pair of boots didn't even last a season before I was stitching seams and replacing soles (simms guideboots just last year).

My motto is to find a pair that fits, and use them until you are walking back to the truck barefoot.