PDA

View Full Version : That's it i'm offically hooked.

Jeff Stephens
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
New to fly fishing took 2 classes from J.Putnam been to the Yuba 3 times and the American once. Missed numerous fish but not Friday on the Yuba. Caught my first Wild Rainbow it went right at 19 inches. Thanks to Jeff P and the guys at Kiene's ,plus all the nice fly fisherman i met at the Yuba "always willing to let me pick there brains" for all your help. It was really nice fish with a small hook jaw. Got it on a small red copper john. My pictures are not good enough quality to post (due to fly line all over the place net all wrapped around me ect . my main concern was to get the fish released quickly before it got to exhausted. I still got alot of work to do but already reading on switch rods swinging and spey casting can't seem to find enough information to read on fly fishing...Thanks Jeff :-)

Dave Neal
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
The Kiene's crew and JP hook another one! Its all downstream from here... haha

you said:
"My pictures are not good enough quality to post (due to fly line all over the place net all wrapped around me ect . my main concern was to get the fish released quickly before it got to exhausted."

Good on ya! Keep that etiquette and ethic forever... A lot of fish would be happier and healthier if we took a few less pictures of them. I'm guilty of it from time to time - it can be done safely and quickly, but when it isn't going to work, think of what's best for the fish - as you did.

Happy fishing to you...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Congratulations "ffjeff4"

A wild 19" Rainbow trout is a really wonderful fish............

Pictures of fish don't have to be perfect.

EricO
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Nice Jeff,

I've been skunked more times on the Yuba than i care to admit. And I've been fly
fishing for 10+ years.

Congrats man!! A 19" on the Yuba is one nice fish!

Eo

Scott V
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
No pictures mean it didn't happen, just kidding. Post pics no matter how bad they are, I like the Bigfoot kind where you can see something but not really sure what it is. Welcome to the world of fly fishing and Kiene's board.

JasonB
03-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Thats awesome, welcome to the addiction. A 19" trout is a BIG fish too! I probably should have dropped some coin towards some lessons right off the bat, as I'm sure it would have been well spent. Good for you too for having more concern for the fish than the photo.
JB

NCL
03-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Jeff,

Nice talking with you on the phone. I can only say there is no ten step recovery program for fly fishing, I know I have looked ...LOL

Mitch

JohnS
03-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Jeff congratulations on your first wild fish......19" wow! I guess all that info Doug and I provided you with was on the money. Now that you're retired, I see a FF bum in your wife's future.

John

Terry Thomas
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Jeff,
Enjoy and keep putting the time on the water.
Terry

stonefly58
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Jeff, I believe we met on Friday, good to see you landed one. Not to one up you, but the fish that you saw me land was a 20 inch male bow, took a foam bodied caddis #16. If you are looking for other creeks to fish I have been fly fishing Putah for 30 years and would be more than happy to show you where the NICE fish are on Putah, send a PM if you are interested.

Regards,

Dan LeCount
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Wait till you get a spey rod, it gets worse.

Woodman
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Wait till you get a spey rod, it gets worse.

or start saltwater fishing god forbid....

Hatch
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Or get a boat and start chasing stripers 10 months out of the year. Your wife/girlfriend will be thrilled. LOL. Keep going it only gets better.
HATCH

BigSmallFly
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
It is really nice to hear that there is another addict, and questioning wife out there. My wife continuously questions my loyalty to fishing, or to her.

Post a pic, no matter how bad it is. It is better to post a bad pic of a living fish and a proud fisherman, than it is to be ashamed of killing one.

One of my proudest catches has been a 5" Golden trout. The size was nothing to talk about, but the color of this wild beauty was amazing. Sorry to say, that I have no pictures of it. I believe this wild natural beauty is still living today.

Fish on!

Jeff Stephens
03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words lets see if this upload works.Being solo and it being my first fish it's not very good quality but its a fish with a smooth release.
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/ffjeff4/YubaFish.jpg
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/ffjeff4/yubafish2.jpg