PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead In Late March

James C
03-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Hello everyone.

Got some time the last week of March to swing for some Steelhead. Hopefully the rivers have dropped into shape then, after next week's big storm.

It's getting pretty late in the season, but we had a late start, not having any rain until mid-january. There have to be some rivers on the coast that will still fish that week.

Anyone care to throw out some suggestions. SF Eel? Mattole? I would guess the Garcia and Guala would be done, but maybe not.
thanks
Jimmy James

Rick J
03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
if you are willing to travel you might consider northwestern Oregon up around Tillaook - a bunch of rivers all right together

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
If you can't go too far maybe look at our valley rivers in Nor Cal with this low water.

Lower American and Lower Feather?

Longer rivers will have some spring run steelhead and resident trout too.

Klamath and Trinity could be good with hatches coming off.

I think the Oregon and Washington coast does get spring run Steelhead as Rick suggested.

Check with www.SpeyWater.com guide service in Oregon.

SH Guide Jason Hartwick might have some ideas....

Frank Pipgras
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
The Rogue River above Medford can fish very well in March and April for a late run winter run steelhead

goby
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I saw 3 steelhead on the Trinity today. One was going through a 4 inch riffle and the other two with getting amorous in shallow water.

I'm not sure if its illegal, or just unethical, to throw a fly at mating fish, but I didn't want to interrupt their love making, so I just watched them do their dance.

mr. 3 wt.
03-11-2012, 12:57 AM
very unethical, you did the right thing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2012, 07:43 AM
The Rogue River above Medford can fish very well in March and April for a late run winter run steelhead

Thanks Frank........I was wondering about the Rogue.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2012, 07:46 AM
In low water lots of longer rivers get spring run Half-pounder Steelhead that are fresh run.

Plus bugs can be hatching with lots of Half-pounders and resident trout feeding on top.

Joe Mateas
03-11-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm heading to the Feather tomorrow morning for a few days, should be some spring run action. They were in there a few weeks ago, I hooked one bright silver 16"-18" when I was there last.

Finsane
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
South Fork Umpqua