PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River Nevada Report

gilligan
03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
The river is in great shape down on the Nevada side. 600 cubes East of Reno and a water temp of 46 degrees. Things are about to go off. At this time last year the river was high and blown, and we missed the great Spring fishing. Big hatches of blues wings are happening right now along with a progressing skwala hatch. March browns should make an appearance here shortly as well. The browns should start moving about and chasing streamers with these warmer water temps. There’s also nothing like throwin’ a big skwala dry along the banks and seeing a big brown glurp it down. We’ve caught some monster bows down there this Winter, and I’m excited about the next few months and the brown trout fishing to come, weather permitting. As always take a look at my blog for updated reports.

www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/

Scott V
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Drop me a pm when swinging is happening I would love to get together with you and walk some water.

gilligan
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Will do Scott...

gilligan
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Despite the recent storms the entire Truckee River is in great shape. The river did peak around 1000 cubes (Nevada), but has come back down to pre-storm levels. It is a bit off color, but fine. It should be a good week down on the Nevada side. The weather is supposed to warm and that will bring the skwalas and b dubs out. We should also see some march browns here shortly. Nymphing will remain solid, but by mid-day look for some heads eating the bugs I mentioned on the surface. The water temps have dropped a bit, but should warm back up the mid 40s this week. I’m sure the streamering will be good as the water warms a little. This is good time of year to pick up some big fish on the Truckee. Give me a call or drop me line if you have any questions.

Matt “Gilligan” Koles

gilligan
03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
The Truckee River in Nevada is in great shape, despite the storms this week. Last night it snowed (above Truckee) and had minimal impact on river flows. Saturday’s storm will be a one-day type of thing, it should snow, not rain, and won’t impact river flows much, if at all. The winds though have been a bummer. If you can deal with the wind, you will catch fish. Skwalas, b-dubs, and march browns are on the meal ticket. A four or five inch chunk of bunny will get some fish to chase too. The streamer fishing has been pretty good as of late. Fish have moved out from their winter holding lies, and are spread throughout the river. You will now find them along banks, in pocket water, and riffles. On a side note: I’ve been doing all right, not great here around Hirschdale on the Cali side, but it’s been cold this week. We need a week of consistent warm weather to get some more fish moving about the cabin.

Cheers,

Gill

www.gilligansguideservice.com