PDA

View Full Version : Wading boot studs

DFrink
03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I see these packages of studs for felt wading boots. Are these only designed to go into boots only made to accept studs? I have a pair of Cabelas felt boots and would like to "add" studs to them? Any problem with just screwing them in?

Terry Thomas
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Studs made for felt have longer screws than the screws made to go into "rubber" type soles.

DFrink
03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
So you just buy them, and screw them into the felt? Sounds simple enough, just wasn't sure if there was an issue with the stud coming through the bottom of the sole at some point? I'm assuming they are pretty short studs?

DFrink
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
So you just buy them, and screw them into the felt? Sounds simple enough, just wasn't sure if there was an issue with the stud coming through the bottom of the sole at some point? I'm assuming they are pretty short studs?

The reason I'm asking is my felt boots are pretty slick on dry ground, thought the studs would help a little when hiking a short ways to fish (say a mile or so). I hate dealing with multiple shoes. Plus I'm sure the studs would help on the rocks when wading.

Fly Guy Dave
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
A suggestion: I use #6x 3/8" type AB sheet metal screws as the metal studs in all of my wading boots. They work great, and I've never had any problems using them, nor have they ever poked through the bottom and thrashed my waders.

DFrink
03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll give this a shot.

A suggestion: I use #6x 3/8" type AB sheet metal screws as the metal studs in all of my wading boots. They work great, and I've never had any problems using them, nor have they ever poked through the bottom and thrashed my waders.

NCL
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I read on another board of someone using motorcycle tire ice studs from a company named Kold Kutter. I have not tried them but they seem like they would work.

Fish Guru
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Google wearbars, they are tungsten carbide spikes that screw into the felt and give unmatched traction. They are a little pricey but you will not slip with these and they do not wear out. I have 36 in each boot and feel like I could walk up a vertical sheet of ice the traction is so good. I originally got them for rock hopping for surf stripers but have been using them around here and they rock no matter where you are fishing.

KillBill
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Stabilicer replacement cleats, available at REI online(best price) or Poppy's Red Shed. Work great, 50 in a pack.

Digger
03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Dan Bailey's sell these "stream cleats", vulcanized rubber overshoes with aluminum extrusions that run the entire width of the sole.
Used them on the algae covered rocks and have never slipped.